Chapter Three

Mind Planet
All Rights Reserved
© 2021 May Dahlia.

Word Count: 1509 words

~•~•~•~

    The mission was simple.

    Naomi could hear the steps ringing in her head like they were being repeated to her at a louder volume with every breath she inhaled. She was known to work alone, that was the only way she knew how to work. She could never put her trust in anything but science. Yet, she agreed. She agreed to work with two other strangers, split the money, and never see their faces again. She agreed because taking the deal earned her something more profitable than money and more valued than anything else. It earned her information.

    "The instructions are as basic as possible. Get in there without being seen, leave a statement loud enough to be heard from miles and outrageous enough to be seen across borders and on every news channel in the continent, then deliver our guy to us and do whatever the fuck you want with your lives."

    It was that simple but at the same time, it wasn't at all.

    "You're one Blondie. I'm two and macho guy, you're three. Got it?" Naomi said with a pointed look in the direction of the guy who hadn't uttered a single word or unfolded his arms for even half a second since getting there. The two guys nodded in understanding then Naomi rolled her eyes, stepped onto her hoverdrive, and she was gone with the wind.

    Within minutes of leaving, Naomi's soundless hoverdrive came to a halt as soon as the highly secured military facility came into view. The task required stealth and it was for that reason that she was forced to get off her trusted means of transportation and cover the rest of the distance on her own. She was quick to hide away the moderately sized wheel-less bike in a bush with a bending tree looming over it and sheltering her deeds from the drone surveillance that was sure to cover every square inch of the place.

    Once she was done, she glanced around before activating her suit to stealth mode then switching her skin screen to a mini hologram floating above her wrist to guide her in navigating her way around. She spent a few seconds disabling the cameras and putting the surveillance system on hold before giving the signals to her fellow stealth operatives then moving in.

    She took the least guarded route for the sake of running into fewer targets and improving the chances of her making it in alive. The route was the most exposed but she could only hope the sniper had gotten the signal and was in a position to watch her back if the need arose. She was perfectly capable of defending herself but the consequences had been considered, leading her contractor's decision to give her a team of two rather than going solo as she preferred to. If she was left to defend herself, her tendency to violence would kick in, resulting in their exposure as well as wasting of time due to her desire to ruin the person completely rather than eliminating an enemy and moving on.