BotW!Link x Reader - Another Life

Start from the beginning

"Why hasn't anyone found this?" Link questioned.

"Because it was meant for me." Quickly searching your body for it, you tore the pendant from your neck. Placing it into Hylia's palm.

You turned to Link, "If you'd please, I don't have much time and need some privacy."

Link backed away out of your sight. But not far enough to not hear.

You spoke up, "Hylia, please. Take this pained life from me. For you know I will die from these injuries."

This hadn't made sense to Link. Every scratch on your body had healed in your sleep.

"(Y/n). You know I cannot. I cannot take back something I gave to you for this purpose. And for that I am sorry. You ask this every time. Maybe things will change if you tell him?" Her tone made it clear she was hinting at something.

"You know this was not an option since the beginning." A tear slid down your cheek, "I shall do it myself then. Will I see you when I get there?"

"Of course. Taking my hero's pain is something that will always earn you a spot here."

Your conversation had ended just as soon as it started. And you broke into another coughing fit.

You left your pendant there as you readied yourself to leave. As you walked out you saw Link, pale in the face.

"What's wrong with you? Have you seen a ghost or something?" You tried to joke as you walked past him.

You stopped when he didn't follow. You turned around, raising a brow at him.

"You didn't say anything to me."

"Excuse me?"

"You never once even uttered so much as a complaint about the pain." He held his breath, "My pain."

Your eyes widened as you realized he had found out. This had happened only twice before and led to your only fights with the heros.

You shook your head as you walked away, "You are delusional."

"How could you keep something like this from me?! How could I not notice?!"

You continued your walk. You had decided to wait out the last few minutes of this life where it always had ended. Beside a river that runs to Lake Hylia.

The river was not far and you were getting worse as you walked on. Not once responding to Link's panicked and irritated statements.

"Why are you so okay with this?" He cried.

This.

This was your breaking point.

You stopped dead in your tracks.

"I have no choice but to be okay with it. You don't seem to understand that this is my job. One of my primary duties. I've done this since the beginning of Demise and the Princess, and you." You sighed, withholding a cough.

"How can you keep doing this over and over?" He wept.

You turned to him, "I can keep doing this over and over because I do it for someone I love. Someone I've loved since the start. Yet somehow, even after hundreds of thousands of years, he still hasn't got it through his thick scull." You threw Link a weak smile before you turned back to the trail.

"W-what?! But I've been so closed off, so rude." He winced.

"You forget that I've known you forever. And that I know why you do the things you do." Finally you had arrived at the river, slowing yourself, you made your way to a rock and sat. Waiting for your heart to expire.

"I'm really sorry (Y/n). I don't want you to leave. In fact, our whole journey I've wanted to get to know you. But I've been such a coward." He rubbed his neck and then his eyes.

"You aren't a coward. You have the tri-force of courage. You're shy." You corrected.

Breaking into a coughing fit, you continued, "You need to go Link. You don't need to see this."

A tear dripped down his face as you spoke. Everything was hitting him in full force.

You gasped. It was coming. In the last minutes of your life you felt no pain.

"(Y/n)?!" Link rushed to your side.

You smiled.

"I'll see you again."

"In another life..."

———
1252 words

Extra long because I was gone for so long. Hope you enjoyed <3