Twenty-Nine

You woke the next morning still cuddled up to Bucky, who was softly breathing underneath you.

"There was a time when I would seriously question this." You picked your head up to see Steve stood by the door.

"And now?" You asked quietly, not to wake Bucky.

"Not one bit." He walked into the room and closed the door. "We looked at the files. Well, I looked at your file."

"Nosey aren't we?" You teased, honestly not caring if he had read it. Now you knew everything, it was only a matter of time until you spoke to him about it all.

"It was a long eight days" he smirked sitting back in the chair he had been in the previous day.

"So, what did you read?" You leaned on your elbow by Buckys head.

"Your brother. He was your best friend."

Dylan really was your best friend. So it hurt knowing it was his fault the passed 10 years happened.

"We did everything together. He meant everything to me. It broke me when he joined the army. My best friend was gone. And I had no clue if he'd return." You sighed and looked over at Bucky still sleeping soundly, "and then he didn't."

You swallowed hard, holding back the tears. "Bucky reminded me of him; fearless. I had nothing to loose, so I pushed my luck." You took in a deep breath before continuing. "Dylan was always getting into fights. Small man syndrome most people called it." You laughed softly, "he beat up an ex boyfriend because he cheated. I was there. I looked him in the eyes and they were dark, empty, as if..."

"His mind was being controlled?" Steve asked, leaning his elbows on his knees, his fingers linked together and he was looking down.

"Exactly. So every time I saw Bucky, he had the same vacant look. I pleaded to him. I hoped that bit of humanity I saw in my brothers eyes was in his too. And it was."

Bucky stirred under you, wrapping his arms tighter around you pulling you close again, "and I will beat your ass if you ever cheat on her." He mumbled, not opening his eyes and cuddling into you.

You and Steve smirked. "How long have you been awake?" You asked

"Long enough." He scrunched up his nose and smiled, eyes still closed.

"You should be in bed." Steve laughed

"I am in bed."

"Your own bed."

Bucky moaned and kissed you on the cheek before opening his eyes and sitting up carefully, "Fine. I'll go." He jumped off the bed and high-fived Steve as he walked passed, "don't do it on the bed. Don't think they're built for that."

"Even if I wanted to, I don't think that's where Steve's mind is right now."

Bucky stopped by the door, opening it and turning to look back to you, "Oh, he's thought about it." He winked and closed the door as he left.

You looked over to Steve, your eyes narrow. Steve looked very guilty.

"I nearly lost you, again." He shrugged and you laughed.

Steve stood up and climbed on to the bed, over you. "Would it be so terrible?" He whispered, leaning down to kiss you.

"I guess not." You mumbled into the kiss, wrapping your arms around his neck and pulling him closer, feeling his whole body against yours.

Steve stopped and looked at you, "I am sorry."

"What for this time?" You smirked.

"For letting my insecurities and jealously get the better of me. For not trusting you. For not trusting Bucky. For thinking you weren't ready to go in there."