Chapter Twenty One

Once Aika and Amajiki had gotten changed, they all headed out to breakfast at a local diner. Togata sat down first, then Aika sat on the opposite side of the booth. Aika had scooched the entire way in while Togata sat in the middle, forcing Amajiki to sit next to Aika, not that he minded at all. The server handed them some menus and they all took a moment to look it over.

“What are you getting, Aika?” Togata asked her, closing his menu.

“Pancakes.” She answered quickly, also closing her menu.

“Just pancakes?” Togata questioned her.

“Um, chocolate chip pancakes?”

Amajiki smiled to himself, also closing his menu. He just wanted eggs, potatoes, and toast. He was sure Togata would get the Protein Punch breakfast.

“Shouldn’t you get something semi-nutritious?” Togata continued to question her.

“They’re brain food.” She defended herself.

“I don’t think that’s true.”

“I mean.. They have to have the syrup too, but then they’re definitely brain food. And I should know, my quirk is dependent on my brain.”

“I guess I can’t argue with that logic.” Togata laughed. The server came back with the drinks they ordered. Togata got a water while Aika and Amajiki had gotten hot chocolate. The two guys put in their orders first, leaving Aika to put in hers.

“And how many pancakes would you like?” The waitress asked her. She thought for a moment, putting her finger on her chin.

“Umm.. three please.” She decided.

“They are pretty big pancakes.” The waitress warned her.

“Oh don’t worry, I’ll eat them.” Aika assured her, handing her the last menu. The waitress walked away, but not before she had grazed Amajiki’s shoulder with her hand. Aika felt an uncomfortable feeling in her stomach and Amajiki had tensed up at the touch. Aika quickly turned her head away, pretending she hadn’t noticed.

Togata, on the other hand, was beyond excited when he saw that. Not only had he managed to force them to sit together, but now there was a flirty waitress too? It was like a scene from a movie. He felt a little guilty at how uncomfortable they both looked, but it’s not like he could have predicted the waitress would want to hit on Amajiki. Togata took out his phone to give Hado live updates of how it was going.

What diner? She messaged him, asking. He told her, and after that he did not receive any more responses from her. Instead in about ten minutes, she had shown up in the entrance, looking around for her friends. Once they were spotted, she walked over and sat next to Togata.

“Mind if I join?” She questioned.

“Of course not.” Togata responded, knowing she was there for backup.

“Good morning.” Amajiki said.

Hey Hado.” Aika also replied, her face still showing how uncomfortable she had been. Hado took that into account when planning their next move. The server came back to the table, noticing Hado.

“Would you like to order as well?” She asked, menu in hand.

“Oh, yes please. But I already know what I want.” Hado waved away the menu. “Can I get a coffee with cream, two scrambled eggs, wheat toast, and a fruit bowl?”

“Sure. Anything else for you guys?” The waitress asked, though she was looking directly at Amajiki when she asked. He froze as he felt her gaze on him, not responding. Aika just looked down at the table, the feeling returning ten-fold to her stomach. Hado observed her reaction carefully.