Chapter 1 - reaping day

Start from the beginning

When I walk into the wepons room I see Nesryn slashing at a wooden dummy with a sword. I smile and start walking towards her, we met in class when we were young the teacher sat her next to me and we soon became best friends.
"Hey kentwell" she breaths a smile forming on her lips
Nesryn often calls me by my second name. my name is Clove, it means to slice with a sharp object. So I guess my parents always wanted me to be a fighter.

"Hey Nesssie" I smirk

She raises an eyebrow at the nickname I gave her she never liked it much.

She motions to the sword handing it over to me. I'm not good with a sword. Well I'm good not great. And you need to be great at everything to enter the games.

"I'm no good with a sword" I shrug as I walk over to her.

We sit at the edge of the room watching some people train. A kid throws around a mace fruitlessly with what I guess is a frustrated parent giving corrections, another boy a blonde haired one is throwing a spear down the range with precision. I'd seen him round school a few times. Surrounded by groups of people. I swear I've seen him somewhere else before but I can't quite recall. He was in the year above and girls don't share classes with boys. So how could I have known him more? I try to rack my brain for the answer but it comes up empty.

"The reapings today, I'm so excited" Ness states "imagine being in the games the glory, how it must feel to bring pride an-"

"Imagine living in victors villiage it must be amazing" I interrupt

"Just staying in the capitol for a week sounds -fabulous" she giggled the last part in a refined captiol accent.

Living in the Capitol would be a dream, they're the richest of the rich, they have everything, everybody lives to serve them, and we're grateful for it. without the captiol we would have nothing, it's only the generosity of the captiol that lets us live. I look across at Nesryn she could be in the games maybe next year she was talented and looks like she'd fit in with the captiol she has a muscular build and is at least 5'7 . Her blonde hair falls neatly to her shoulders held back in a half bun at the moment. Her eyes are brown, like mine but any other eye colour is beyond rare, I envy her I always wanted to be in the games but the look is part of the selection I guess. I had long dark brown hair reaching to my waist, from years of rejecting my appearance beyond my body ,split ends are appearing. My face has freckles dotted around my nose making me look more of a child less intimidating. But I had mastered a mean snarl to help me scare people.

My mother almost made the cut to be in the games, my father never trained he was always going to work in masonry. I don't think they ever wanted a child, they wanted something they could mould into being a warrior, preferably a boy. I was not what they wanted, they watched me break under the standards and praised me for remoulding my body to what they wanted, then pitied themselves when I took further.too far, I was never a second thought. When I started getting better more muscular and refined I saw hope in there eyes again. It wasn't love, at least I don't think. it's ok though, love makes you weak.

"Do you wanna spar?" Ness asks breaking the silence . I realise I've been staring off at the boy with the mace for a long while.

"Sure" I shrug

We walk up to the next floor which has mats. The room is devoid of weapons ever since an unfortunate death, when the fight between two potential tributes went a little too far.