Forty-Four

Chapter 44
Lies vs. Truth

_______________♤♧◇♡♤____________

"What do you mean we're leaving?!" Margot Morena exclaimed, narrowing her eyes at her grandmother, who only scoffed and elegantly waved her off with a hand. After the attack at the Carnival of Lights festival against the fire elemental that night, both Mr. Harrington and Mr. Dell immediately agreed that it was no longer safe to visit Prague for the summer. The raven-haired girl had gotten the unfortunate news from Eleanor once she finally arrived back to her room in the grand hotel. It was completely unfair! How was she supposed to know that some dangerous creature would come and torture civilians?! She felt as if she deserved that vacation after all the battles and trauma she had gone through in each and every last fight. (But of course she couldn't tell her grandmother that, seeing that she never told the woman about her dangerous, secret superhero work as "Blue Raven".) 

"I mean exactly what I just said," Eleanor replied, seeming as if it were obvious. The elegant woman sat at the edge of her granddaughter's bed with a mini mirror clutched in her hand as she began admiring her appearance before she continued. "We leave first thing in the morning. Plus, if something happens to you, your mother will have a cow, and give me that annoying speech about how she gave birth to you." 

"Oh, and like you would so desperately care," Margot rolled her eyes, lacing with sarcasm as she dramatically placed a hand onto her chess for false sentiment. "This is bullshit! We can't just leave our trip early because of that attack!" 

"Oh, you'll be fine," Eleanor assured before closing up the mini mirror in her hand once she continued. "Besides, you'll have all the time in the world to be running off with that Parker boy." 

Margot's eyes twitched at her grandmother's statement. "What are you talking about?" 

"You know exactly what I'm talking about," The stuck-up woman pointed out, wagging her finger up and down in Margot's direction with a sinful grin formed on her lips. "Every time I look around, you're making up any excuse you can find in the book just to run off with him, and lie to your boyfriend, Brad Davis just so you can spend time with that never gonna get it Parker kid. You should stick with Brad, I hear he's loaded." 

"For one…" Margot started, lifting up her finger, while scoffing at her grandmother's words, "Brad is not my boyfriend. And two…" She lifted up another finger before slowly muttering, "Peter and I are just… friends." 

"That's the exact same thing I told you when you were eight when you first met my 'friend' Barney the dinosaur for your birthday party,"  Eleanor had countered, a look of deviance on her face. "How else do you think he showed up to your party, I mean, where do you think he got the song Apples and Bananas from?" 

Disgustingly enough, the poor raven girl knew exactly what that meant. She almost gagged. "TMI, Eleanor. TMI." 

"Anywho…" Eleanor rolled her eyes before lifting herself up from her spot on the bed to make her exit out of the room. As she started to turn the knob of the door, she found herself turning back to Margot with a stare of compelling interest, she then asked, "When you say you're just friends with that Parker boy... who are you trying to convince… me, or yourself?"