44 - Surprise

Monty's day looked up when Sofia texted she told Bea they would attend her dinner. He smiled because she mentioned going shopping.

M: Let Gray drive you. Have fun!

She had his credit card, which she used when she traveled. Never had she used it for anything except travel expenses. It reminded him of Pretty Woman. He enjoyed buying their rings. He might enjoy buying her jewelry and other gifts.

He stared at the reports on his desk. As soon as he arrived, his father called him into his office. He didn't keep him waiting.

"Is it legal?"

Monty smiled. "Yes."

The old man frowned. "Do you have a prenup?"

"No. I would give her everything, but it doesn't matter. Whitbys don't divorce."

Montgomery scowled. "I don't like it. I imagine the girl is beneath you."

Monty held his tongue from blurting not every time. Instead, he defended her.

"My wife is beautiful and smart and is equal in my eyes. I love her."

"You were always so weak. Your mother pampered you. Now your tantrum is over, I need you to buckle down. No more gallivanting around the country. I need you to learn the business."

Monty planned to travel with Sofia around the country. What power did his father have over him? The arranged marriage threat was a bust. He could threaten him financially, but Monty had been supporting himself for years.

"No, I understand this business is my legacy, but I won't give up the things I enjoy, to work myself into misery like you. I am finally happy. I have my own investments which require my time and travel. I will learn the business when I am in town but will not be at your beck and call."

"Why you ungrateful son of a bitch..."

"My mother isn't a bitch, but you are a bastard. You say I'm weak and pathetic, except I am standing up to a bully. I have work to do. When I'm done, I'm going home to my wife."

He walked out before the old man could respond. He hadn't yelled. His voice stayed steady, although it was laced with hate. He hated the man who wouldn't let him walk through the woods, and made him sit at the dinner table in a tie, and screwed his maid, and wanted him to go to prep school, and wouldn't let him go to the island for break. That had been the last straw, the one that caused his demise until Sofia saved him. Gray may have saved him first, but Sofia completed the job.

If he hadn't brought the bottle to Jon's, he and Sloane probably wouldn't have stayed together like Tommy and Tori hadn't, but maybe he would have been prepared. He regretted a lot, but he didn't regret the path that led him to Gray and Trista and Sofia, especially not Sofia.

When he arrived home, Sofia was in a flimsy robe as she sat in front of the bathroom mirror putting on her mascara. The robe gaped open, showing black lace.

His voice was thick with arousal. "I changed my mind."

She sighed. "Don't tempt me. I'm nervous. I feel like the girl who jumped out of the cake. Surprise! He married the cook's sister."

"Baby, there is no surprise. I saw Tom on the way out. He patted me on the back and said congrats, you married the girl Katie likes so much."

"How?"

"You should know. Bea probably told Sage." It surprised him he didn't have a text from Sloane.

"My parents don't know."

"You can tell them tomorrow. We can go together. I had an eventful day."

She turned to him. He had taken off his shirt and his pants hung at his hips. He only intended to put on a fresh shirt and tie. His suit might need a swipe with the roller to remove lint. He would let Sofia do it.