6 - Immunity

Monty drove himself to Weston again on Monday. He respected Bea too much to skip her invitation. He debated wearing an old pair of jeans and faded tee, but again he respected her or maybe his upbringing was ingrained deeper than he wanted to admit. He had spent time the day before shaving his beard. It had served its purpose in disappointing his old man.

Bea answered the door herself, wearing cropped red pants and a safari print top. He felt overdressed in his dress pants.

"Always so handsome." Did a middle-aged woman cause him to blush? He presented her with her favorite chocolates. "Thank you. Lunch first, then you can go for a walk in my garden."

She led him to the breakfast room. They set the table with fresh-cut flowers and crisp linen napkins. Informal elegance had never been mastered in the Whitby home.

He pulled a chair out for his hostess. Her smile quickly turned down. "Is something wrong?"

"I used to be so jealous of your breakfast rooms. My father eats breakfast in the dining room in his suit, except Sundays when he wears golf clothes."

"Your father is a very serious man. I've always worried about you."

"Me?"

She refrained from responding as her cook brought out plates. Each plate had a seafood salad sandwich and fresh fruit.

"I hope you aren't expecting a drink. I have ice tea or lemonade."

He smiled. "You may be surprised, but I'm a big fan of water."

Most people assumed his drink of choice was vodka or gin. He was guilty of drinking water.

"Sparkling?"

"Tap is fine."

The cook placed a bowl of greens on the table. It was a nicer lunch than he ever ate at home.

"Rosa, please fill a pitcher with ice water?"

Monty smiled at the woman. She was shorter than her sister. Both had dark hair and eyes. He had met many beautiful women in his travels through Central and South America. His eyes followed her to the kitchen door, which she pushed open slowly. On the other side, the little girl stood holding a toy.

"Sage says she's family."

Bea smiled. "They are. I'm excited to be a grandmother, but I've been practicing with little Lina. I love her."

"I saw her the last time I was here with her aunt."

Bea nodded. "Sofia helps with Lina from time to time." Rosa appeared and Bea said, "I was telling Monty how special Lina is."

"She does love Miss. Bea."

Monty smiled. "It sounds mutual."

Rosa disappeared and Monty tasted his seafood. It was delicious and filled with various shellfish, including lobster.

"You said you worried about me."

Bea's face fell into a serious expression. "Trying to live up to Montgomery's expectation must be exhausting."

He nodded. "I've given up. Although he's more adamant than ever I become involved in his business."

"Don't you... Don't you want to do something more than play?"

"Believe me. I don't play all the time." He found the way to avoid personal questions was to supply personal information. "Seeing my therapist takes time."

Bea laughed. "With your father, I don't doubt it."

"I thought you liked my father."

"I never agreed with how hard he's been on you. Your mother tried, but even she couldn't influence him."