8 - The Joker

They returned to Boston exhausted, but the trip had been successful. Cycling through three countries allowed them to see things typical tourists wouldn't. One highlight was learning to make authentic Pad Thai from a street vendor. The popular dish started as a street food and was sweeter than any he had eaten in America. Oliver convinced him to write the back roads book featuring a recipe from each country. First the risotto and then the Pad Thai, and Pho, the Vietnamese noodle broth. He would no longer put the recipes on the blog. The last was Malaysian Rendang, slow cooked beef, chicken or lamb in coconut milk and spices similar to curry but unique. Cycling through three countries and finding recipes was adventurous. Their experience ranged from extreme to physical to meditative.

Gray's relationship hadn't survived the distance. Monty thought she must be a fool to not wait for a guy like his best friend. Then he remembered Gray had no plans for a serious relationship. His reasons were demons from his past. The difference was Monty created his demons, but Gray earned his valiantly fighting for his country.

The woman he loved only offset the balance of his life when he saw her. Traveling, he felt strong and his life had true purpose. Returning to an invitation for Sloane's birthday party negated the rejuvenation from being half a world away. The coward in him wanted to stay home. Blame it on the mediation or the rice he ate, but he felt a new determination to win her back.

Gray yelled at him from the other side of his door. "Come on, Superman. You don't want to be late."

He planned to speak to her early, before too many guests arrived. He felt like a woman trying to decide what to wear. As a man, he always wore a suit or formal wear. It was normally so easy, especially since he had perfected tying his ties. A casual evening with friends didn't mean jeans anymore. He opted for a white tee under his navy sports coat. His father would disapprove, but it was another reason to wear the crisp tee. He was in shape and wanted to show it off. How many drunks had defined abs? He had never met any at meetings.

Gray kept unusually quiet on the drive to Weston. His only remark was to remind him he wouldn't be far. Monty dismissed him with a casual wave which did not match his internal emotions.

Julio greeted him by name and for a moment Monty wondered if his wife and her sister had worked out their differences. He exchanged the greeting prior to entering the ballroom. The moment he saw her, his mouth went dry. She glowed. As sexy as she looked in her long gown, her short dress was off the charts.

He took a step towards her and his father intercepted him. "I liked your feedback on the resort in Malaysia. Why were you there?"

"Why did you build a resort there?"

"I didn't. I bought it with other resorts world-wide."

"Did all those guests have their private information stolen too?"

His father stared at him. Criticizing Whitby Enterprises was like kicking the old man in the groan. Monty was secretly glad the company had an enormous breach. His father was too stressed to summon him to his office for his demands.

The old man recovered well. "I trust Sloane. She's clever enough to fix the mess."

Monty felt the vise on his heart twist. Never had his father spoken like that about him. Even when he came home with straight A's, his father found fault. Won't sit still. Disruptive in class. Only satisfactory effort. Maybe he would have tried harder if it hadn't been too easy and would have sat still if he physically could have. He learned not to bother because he would never earn his father's approval.

"I'd like to go say hello." He walked away without waiting for his father's response. As he approached, she smiled. "Happy belated birthday."

He kissed her cheek. Her scent was intoxicating. "I saw your conversation. People look happier at the dentist."