30 - Pretty Woman

Sofia enjoyed traveling. She couldn't stay at the condo all the time with the owner at home, and she had grown tired of living with her parents. Rosa had finally convinced them to be worried about her job. She tried to tell them it was legal, but her secrets made her look deceptive. They were not her secrets to share and Monty trusted her. If only he could love her. She wasn't delusional enough to think she could have a fairy tale with him. He needed to marry a woman in his own social class. Mr. Whitby would settle for nothing less. The thought made her sad.

She would avoid Rosa completely if not for Lina. Her niece didn't deserve to miss out on her tia because her mother didn't approve of Sofia's decisions. Rosa's theories continued to range from drugs to mafia to sugar daddy. One afternoon, Rosa went on about self worth and disrespect because of her sugar daddy.

"Do I have jewelry? A new car?" Even with the money Monty paid her, she hadn't bought a new car. Gray threatened to find her a safer car himself. He would make a good father. She frowned.

"Why are you frowning? Are you giving it to him for nothing?"

"Rosa, I'm not giving anything to anyone. The last time I had sex was Christmas time. I was seeing a man I met modeling, another thing you don't approve of."

"What happened with him?"

"I broke up with him because I wasn't sure I could trust him. I had a situation and my current boss helped me out of it."

"A situation. What situation?"

"I didn't want to tell you, but a sleazy photographer altered some pictures of me and tried to influence me to give him money."

Rosa scoffed. "Money. You have no money."

She knew. "I know but he wanted Petersen money. My employer stepped in and saved your job. You would have been homeless if not for her."

She interchanged pronouns frequently. It was easy because she knew without confirmation that Monty was Trista.

"What are you talking about? What pictures? Who saved me? Do I know her?"

Rosa was whispering because they were in the kitchen. Lina was with Julio and Ms. Bea in the garden.

"It was fake. They were fakes, but I trusted someone who had the influence and money to solve it for me." She lied about the money because she didn't want Rosa to know it only took physical threats.

"Where did you meet this person with money? Did he just give you a job because he felt sorry for you?"

Sofia suspected the answer was yes, but knew when she worked she was helpful.

"I do an actual job."

Bea breezed into the kitchen. Sofia hadn't heard the door. "Hello ladies. You make me glad I didn't have two children." Sofia always wondered why she hadn't. Bea looked at her. "I wasn't blessed with abundant fertility." Sofia frowned. Bea was a wonderful mother. She always read her mind. "I took other children under my wing. Ones who need extra love."

Sofia knew she meant Monty. Bea stared at her as she said the words. Was she sending her a message?

"Rosa, I assure you your sister met her employer at this house. I do not invite drug kings or mobsters to my house. I can't guarantee a guest or two or ten haven't had a sugar baby, but I know your sister is not one."

Sofia stared at Bea. Did she know or was she lying?

"Now I would like to talk to you, Sofia. Sage put Daniel in daycare, but she will still need a babysitter from time to time."

She motioned for Sofia to follow her. She walked into Mr. Petersen's office. It was a room Sofia had never been in before, but it had a thick door and dark wood accents. Bea had chosen it for privacy and Sofia felt nervous.

"I assume this threat you mentioned would have brought trouble to my family. I'd like to know who I should thank for saving me some embarrassment."

Sofia stared at her. The woman missed nothing.

"Fine. I can guess on my own. I am curious what kind of work you are doing for a man who supposedly never works."

Her jaw dropped open and closed. She refused to say anything.

Bea smiled. "You are loyal. Remember, it wasn't an accident for you to be at the fountain at the same time. Sometimes the magic needs a little help, and I saw something in you. Perhaps it's the way you wear my daughter's clothes or care for others. My wounded boy needs a nurturing woman. Women raised with money are not likely to be nurturing. Why did Ted Calhoun marry outside his social standing?"

Sofia shook her head. "It's not like that at all."

"But you want it to be? I do too, and not just because I want to pay the tyrant back for the way he has treated his son." Any doubt who Bea was referring to was erased. "Tell me one thing. What is the work he has you doing? I am intrigued."

Sofia felt Bea was on her side, even if her idea of magic would never happen. She was more likely to be his sugar baby. "Work his father thinks he is doing."

Bea chuckled and shook her head. "I heard he goes to the office now. His mother is very proud." Sofia shrugged. "I know you are a loyal person, but you need to believe in magic."

Bea walked around her and left the masculine room. Sofia stood unable to move, not sure what had just happened.

She left for California the next day. Her travels would take her from San Francisco to Los Angeles. She even had a night booked at a resort in Carmel. Too often she wished she was not traveling alone. Beautiful sights would have been better shared. Selfies were more fun with a face next to hers. She was lonely, but there was only one person she wanted. She may not believe in Bea's magic, but she had decided that if the chance ever came her way, she would have an affair with him. She didn't expect love in return, but she loved him too much to turn him down. She wanted him too much to turn him down.

If heaven was better than a walk down Rodeo Drive, Sofia wasn't afraid to die. She wished she had money to buy the fashions. She had Monty's credit card, but she didn't have permission to buy a designer dress. She wore a dress of Sage's and was treated as if she belonged. She even tried on a few dresses. She felt like Pretty Woman. Monty was more handsome than Richard Gere, and she wasn't a working girl. If only her sister believed her.

As much as she loved LA, it didn't excite her to be visiting alone. She looked forward to returning home for the weekend. Bea had asked her to watch Daniel because she was having another party.