EDITED VERSION: Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

I sighed as I combed through my hair again. "Give me a minute!"

After finding out I had a little under an hour to get ready, I had rushed to my room and scavenge through my closet to find an appropriate outfit for tonight. Eventually, I located my red dress with lace sleeves and my black heels.

Giving myself one last look, I nodded my head in approval. I exited my room and met up with Darian and Nathan outside the apartment as they waited for the taxi.

When we reached Nathan and Darian's childhood home, I took a surprising breath in.

The house was big, with its own roundabout driveway and gate made of iron. Vines crept up the sides of the house made of white stones and lights twinkled on the roof and front garden.

"Don't be intimidated," Darian began as he studied me carefully. "It looks a lot cozier on the inside."

I rolled my eyes at my roommate. "I'm not intimidated. It looks a bit like my home back in Trillium, but mine had more of a lodge-y feel to it."

Darian laughed and Nathan rolled his eyes as the car came to a stop at the front doors. Darian got out first and Nathan followed. He rushed to my side of the car, opened the door, and held out his hand.

I blushed slightly at his action and placed my hand in his. "How chivalrous of you."

"Told you I'd be the best fake boyfriend you've ever had," he said with a wink.

We linked arms and started towards the stairs made of marble that lead to the huge black front doors that had been decorated with Christmas wreaths.

I gave Nathan a side glance. He was wearing a black suit with a red tie, and his face no longer had his slight stubble, instead, it was clean-shaven. I smirked and said, "You clean up nicely West."

He looked me over and smirked as well. "Not as well as you, Holland."

Darian coughed awkwardly as we stood by the door. He too was wearing a suit, but this one was grey and he matched it with a blue tie. Despite looking fairly snazzy, he still wore one of the beanies Samara had given him. He scratched his head and said, "Maybe we should wait out here for a minute. I'm really not prepared for mo-"

Just as Darian was about to say the word mom, a petite woman swung open both doors and squealed, "My babies are home!" She ran over to Darian and gave him a big hug. "Oh, I missed you boys so much!"

Their mother pinched his cheeks and then quickly made her way to Nathan.

He broke free from my hold and gave her a big hug. "I missed you too, mom."

She let go of Nathan and looked at me with a huge grin.

When I finally got a good look at her, I tried my best not to gasp. She was absolutely stunning and you could see the striking resemblance between her and her boys.

Like Darian, she had piercing blue eyes, with hair much like Nathan's - silky and dark sandy colour - and much to my dismay, she had Nathan's signature smirk. Snapping out of my daze, I outstretched my hand. "H-hi Mrs. West, I'm A-"

"Audrey," she finished for me. She gave me a big smile and ignored my outstretched hand. Instead, she pulled me in for a hug. "Nathan has told me so much about you! And don't call me Mrs. West, please, call me Julie."

I blinked in surprise as she left my arms and I felt Nathan go tense beside me. Giving him a small look, he kept his eyes forward, not bothering to meet my gaze. What had Nathan said about me to his mother?

His mother jerked her head towards the doors. "Let's go inside, I have lots of food made."

Darian followed his mother and Nathan put his hand on the small of my back.