EDITED VERSION: Chapter Sixteen

Start from the beginning

Nathan moved his face so he could look at me fiercely. "Then take control."

"Okay," I say with false confidence. I looked at him and then to the punching bag behind him and pointed. "Then teach me how to fight, to defend myself."

Nathan looked back at the bag and then at me. "You want to know how to box?"

"You said to take control," I began. "How can I take control when I don't even feel safe?"

"Alright," Nathan agreed, nodding his head. He walked over to a box of gloves that were in the back corner by the equipment. Digging through them, he pulled out a pair of wraps and gloves. He inspected them and when he looked satisfied, he patted the bench. "C'mere." I sat down beside him and he started wrapping my hands like how he wrapped his. "First thing you're going to have to learn is how to wrap your hands properly, if you don't you could risk breaking your knuckles or at least bruising them."

"That sounds painful," I grimaced.

Ignoring my statement, he pulled me up, leading me to the punching bag. He strapped on my gloves and said, "The thing to remember is to keep your body weight evenly and stay on the balls of your feet."

I spread my legs shoulder-width apart and bent my knees slightly like I had seen him do as he was practicing before I had interrupted. "What do I do what my hands?"

Nathan went up behind me and brought my arms in front of my face. I could feel the heat of his body behind me and my breath hitched in my throat — he was so close I could also feel his heart beating. Nathan must have realized how close he was to me because he cleared his throat awkwardly and let go of my wrists. "Keep your dominant hand in the back. Elbows down, hands up, but don't block your eyes."

I nodded my head and he went behind the bag and held it. "Okay, punch."

As hard as I could, I punched the bag starting with my left hand, as it was my dominant one and I had hoped it would cause some sort of deep impact. But when I did, Nathan nor the bag budge.

Nathan watched me punch the bag repeatedly until he let go and said, "Don't waste all your energy on trying to throw your hardest punches, you'll tire yourself out."

I dropped my hands to the side. "So what do I do?"

"Be patient, princess," Nathan chuckled. "It takes time to develop solid hits without dishing out all you have to offer. My best advice? Go slow and practice as much as you can."

He went back behind the bag and gestured for me to begin hitting it once again. Listening to his advice, I went slow, making sure not to tire myself out as Nathan had warned. After a few minutes of doing this, Nathan nodded his head in approval. "You're doing good, but I think we should head home."

"Aw, why?" I whined, enjoying unleashing all my pent-up anger and frustrations.

Nathan chuckled as he unwrapped his hands. "Because you look exhausted and there's more to boxing than punching. If you're serious about this, we're going to go about this the way I learned it."

I rolled my eyes and put my hands on my hips. "And how did you learn?"

Nathan ignored the fact that my hands were on my hips and pulled on my wrists so he could help me get my gloves off. When he slipped them off he smiled at me, mischief evidently across his face. "Lots of hard work and exercise, princess. By the time we're done, you're going to hate me."

I could never hate him, I thought to myself.

"Noted," Nathan said, clearly satisfied. My face reddened and I felt like a complete moron for saying that out loud. Looking down, I unravelled the wraps on my hands but was stopped when Nathan took my chin in his hand. His hazel eyes landed on mine and stared at me intently. "You're taking back control, Audrey. Be proud of that."