5. Esther

Dear Lexi,

Stories are probably one of the best things ever, right? I mean, if you are bogged down with this world you can go visit another one for a while. It's an escape. Hey, but maybe you won't even like to read.

Either way, I have a story to tell today. One I hope you enjoy. Here we go.

Once upon a time, there was a great king who was hosting a huge party. He and many others were drunk and wishing to impress the visitors the King sent for his wife, the Queen.

The Queen was greatly annoyed with this request. And she refused to parade herself around. The King was greatly angered at her refusal, because back in those days you did as your husband ordered, especially if he was the king.

And then it was decided that the Queen couldn't stay because of her refusal. And she was banished from the kingdom.

As this was happening down in a village in the kingdom lived an orphaned young girl named Esther. Her family had been apart of the taking Jews out of Jerusalem. She lived with her cousin Mordecai, who looked after her as his own.

Then it came to pass that the king called for any and all fair and beautiful eligible maidens to come to the kingdom. And Esther was forced to leave her home. But, she was well looked after by the keeper, Hegai, and was given the best rooms they had to offer. She didn't mention that she was a Jew as she was told not to by Mordecai.

When it came time to be veiwed by the King, Esther was found to be more favorable than any of the other maidens. And so he made her his queen.

That's not the end of the story though, rather it's the beginning of a plan. A couple of different plans to be exact.

At this time, Mordecai was seen regularly at the gates as he would watch over Esther still. While he was there he over heard a plot to harm the King and revealed the plan to Esther.

Esther then told the plan to the King and after an investigation that proved the plot true, the two men were hung.

Then there was Haman, a prince that the king set above all other princes. And all the servants and everyone had been ordered to bow down to Haman, but Mordecai refused as it was against his beliefs. Haman was very angry that Mordecai refused and sought to do him harm.

Haman spoke with the King and twisted his words into a way to anger the King. He claimed that there was a people that refused to follow the king's commands. Haman shifted the story to seem like Jews were disobedient people who were not worth the trouble. The King gave his signet ring to Haman, which allowed him to pass any law in the Kings name that no one can change. Not even the King himself.

So, a decree went out that all Jews were to be destroyed. Throughout the kingdom and provinces, the Jews were in despair and there was great fasting and weeping.

When Esther heard of her cousins despair, she sent him a messenger begging to know what had happened. And Mordecai revealed all the had been decreed to the messenger and in turn Esther. Mordecai also told her not to think she would be spared because she was the Queen, but that if she didn't try to do something that deliverance would rise from another place. And her and her fathers house will perish.

So, Esther sent word to him to bring all Jews in the city and fast for three days and she and her maids would do the same. At the end of the third day, Esther would go into the King, which is against the law.

So after the third day Esther came into the King's court, which was against the law and he held out his golden scepter to save her. Then he asked what she would like, even if it was half the kingdom it would be given to her. And Esther asked if he and Haman would come to a banquet prepared by her. The King and Haman agreed and came as Esther asked.

At the dinner the King once again asked Esther what she wanted, even if it was half the kingdom it would be given to her. And Esther only asked that they come to another banquet the next day and wait.

Haman went home that day and bragged to his wife and friends all that he possessed. He raged about how he wanted Mordecai dead and thus they started to build a gallows fifty feet high for Mordecai.

That night the King could not sleep and had the book of records read to him. When it got to the plot against the King earlier mentioned in this story, the king rose with astonishment for they had done nothing to thank Mordecai who had saved the Kings life.

The king sent for Haman and asked what should be done for the man the king wished to honor. Haman, believing it was him, declared that the man should wear a pair of the Kings robes and ride on the Kings horse and have a prince call out through the crowd, "This is what is done for the man whom the king wishes to honor."

The king thought this was a wonderful idea and had it set up for Mordecai and the prince being Haman. That day all that was said was done for Mordecai the Jew.

At Esther's banquet the king asked once again what Esther wished, even if it is half the kingdom it would be given to her. And Esther spoke that if she had found favor in the Kings sight that he please spare her and her people as they had been ordered to be destroyed.

And the King asked who had done this thing, ordered that the Queen's people be killed. And Esther replied that an enemy, that Haman had ordered this for her. And the king was so angry he went to the garden for a moment to try and cool down. Haman latched onto Esther begging for his life.

That is how the King found him and ordered that he be hung on the gallows he had made for Mordecai.

The king was the told of the relationship of Esther and Mordecai. Mordecai was brought in and given the signet ring of the Kings. Esther begged the king to erase the decree written against the Jews, but as that was impossible he had Mordecai write another one that have the Jews hope. And everyone was glad.

And that is more or less the story of Esther. Have you heard that story before, Lexi? I'm almost positive you will have, but it's one of my favorites. There are so many things to learn from it.

First, be like Mordecai, he stood up for his faith and was promoted highly in the kingdom. Although, admittedly it took some time to remember.

Second, we can't mess up God's plan. Esther was there for a reason, but if she had said no which was in every way possible so it says, "If thou holdest thy peace at this time, then will relief and deliverance arise to the Jews from another place, but thou and thy's fathers house will perish" (Esther 4:14)

So, even if she had said no, the Jews would still have been saved. But Esther and her family would have perished. God's plan is always going to work out.

Third, you are where you are for a reason. Do you think Esther wanted to go to the palace with all the other girls? I don't think so, she had a life that didn't involve the monarchy. But, she was put into place where she was able to save all of her kinsmen. And isn't that pretty great, too?

And yes, I am absolutely positive that this whole story, is one hundred percent true.

With love,
Cara