Mama

Days passed with Keigo in that horrid little room. He was stuck there with the phantom taking many more forms of people that he'd loved and cared about. He'd had to go through watching each and every member of the league killing someone that he loved... He'd had to watch Dabi burning Eito alive. Eventually, Gaelen returned to the chamber. The phantom had taken the form of Toga who was standing over Keigo, about to stab him.

  One of the guards that had come with the president snapped his fingers and the phantom disappeared in a puff of smoke. A feather-less Keigo was curled up on the ground, rocking back and forth and in the middle of a panic attack. 

   "Please... please no, Toga-chan. I don't want to hurt you... Don't make me hurt you..." He cried. His entire body was shaking with the force of his sobs. Gaelen rolled her eyes, and went over to him, putting a gentle hand on his shoulder. 

  "There there, Hawks. You're safe now. Do you see now why you have to be committed to this mission? I know that they seem like your friends, but they could turn on you at any minute. They are not good people," She said softly. Gaelen ran her fingers through Keigo's hair in the way that his mother used to. Keigo shook his head weakly as he drew in shaky breaths. 

  "They are good people. I know that they are. They're just hurt... They're hurting like I was, and-and- they can be fixed if we just try. T-they... they're really sweet people, and Toga's still a kid...Please... you gotta give me more time... let me fix them, I-I-I-" Keigo started to ramble, picking at his already over-groomed wings. The president shook her head a bit, sighing. 

  "You've had your time, Keigo. Now is the time for protecting people. That's what you always wanted, isn't it?" 

   "What sort of hero would I be if I can't even save my friends?" Keigo asked, his voice small. 

  "They're only a few people, Keigo. Just think of the thousands of lives you'll be saving. You'll be an even better hero if you go through with the mission. Sacrifices have to be made for the good of the people. You know this. Come now, why don't you rest in your old room for a while, hmm? Would you like that?" Keigo nodded a bit in response. The president had the guards help him up. "Good night, Hawks. Rest up for now." 

  Keigo practically collapsing onto his old bed and wrapping himself in the blanket. He smiled weakly as he saw Asuka's little form curled up at his side. She seemed almost transparent compared to the other times he'd seen her and her face seemed a little bit blurry, but she was certainly there. 

  "Are we gonna go see Momma to get us a new plushie?" She asked. Keigo almost flinched at how distorted her voice sounded. He shook his head a bit, taking a breath to give him a moment to steady his thoughts. 

  "We can't go see her, sweetie... not right now... but do you remember the day when she got us our favorite?" Keigo asked softly, wishing that he could reach out and stroke her hair or wrap her up in his wings. She nodded excitedly. Keigo hummed a bit and closed his eyes, letting himself sink deep into the memory. 

~

    Asuka ran along excitedly. Her golden braids streamed behind her like a little tail as she laughed. Her mother gave a tired smile as she trailed behind. As she was running, Asuka tripped on a rock and fell to her knees. She didn't seem even a bit upset that her knees were scraped or the faded, too short, and tattered yellow sundress that she wore that day had gotten some dirt on it. 

  "Now now, Asuka, slow down. We're just here to get a few things with the money that your father got this week. There's a lot of time," Tomie said. She helped her daughter up and carefully dusted her off. She gripped Asuka's hand tightly and kept her close. While they were browsing the shops, Asuka gasped and broke from her mother's hold, dashing straight into a toy store. Her eyes sparkled as she started to look at all of the toys that lined shelves. She was about to grab an All might plushie when Tomie rushed to her, frowning. 

  " Momma, I want this one, pleeeeease! Tomorrow's my birthday, and everyone else always gets toys for their birthday, can I? please please pleeeeease?" Asuka cried, grabbing her mother's sleeve with one hand and tugging it. Tomie's eyes widened, and she went quiet for a bit, thinking. Eventually, she sighed, moving her daughter's hair out of her face. 

  "Will you be a good girl when we get home then? I'll only get you a toy if you are good. Especially when your father's home," She said. Asuka nodded energetically, not seeing the fact that Tomie had rolled her eyes at her enthusiasm. One glance at the toy's price made Tomie groan out. She put the plush back, much to the little girl's disdain. 

  "I said I would be a good girl, Momma... please?" Asuka's lip began to wobble. As far as her four-year-old mind could see, she wasn't going to get the toy no matter how good she promised to be. Tomie looked around the shop till she found a bin of Endeavor plush dolls that were on sale. They were still quite pricey but at least it would keep Asuka quiet for a while. 

  "Here, but only because you promised to be good," Tomie picked up one of the plushies and took Asuka's hand, leading her over to the register. For the rest of the day, Asuka refused to let go of the toy, holding it close to her chest throughout the whole shopping trip. 

  That night, while Tomie was getting Asuka ready for bed, the little girl turned and hugged her as best she could. Her tiny wings were beating a mile a minute, and her eyes were shining like a thousand stars. 

  "Thank you for buying me Endeavor, momma. I love you," She mumbled. Tomie almost felt her heart warm a bit. She sighed and gently ran her fingers through her daughter's hair, smiling. 

  "I love you too, sweetheart, anything for my little chickadee," She leaned down and kissed her forehead softly. Asuka sighed, cuddling close to her. 

  "Momma, will you sing our special song to me tonight? Pleeeease?" Asuka begged, looking up at Tomie with those big golden eyes. It was so peculiar how those eyes could ever hold such innocence after what this poor child had already been through. 

  "Get yourself comfy first, then I'll sing to you," Tomie cooed as she sat on the ground beside the cardboard boxes that Asuka had fashioned together into a little makeshift bed with her ratty old pillow and blanket and a ripped and uncomfortable futon. Obediently, Asuka got into the box-bed and cuddled up with her Endeavor plushie and her porcelain doll.   

  "I'm ready now, Momma. Will you sing nooow?" Asuka begged. Tomie situated herself beside the box bed and cleared her throat, singing softly before she began to sing. Her voice was spectacular by any means, but to Asuka, it sounded like the most beautiful thing in the world. 

"Over starlight in the trees

Hear this song within the breeze.

Nightengale please raise your head,

Sing my baby off to bed." 

  Asuka began drifting off as she listened to her mother's voice, her eyes fluttering closed. The melody made it seem like for just a moment, she was a normal girl sleeping in a nice soft big warm bed in a beautiful house. Tomie kept running her fingers through Asuka's hair as she continued her song.

"Close your eyes, my little one.

Sleep until the morning comes. 

Fly on wings made by your dreams. 

There you'll be forever free,

With me."

   The words of the lullaby echoed through Keigo's mind. His heart ached every time he remembered that day, but... he didn't want to stop. He cuddled deeper into the thin blankets that the commission had given him, trying with all his might to stay in the memory. 

    "I'll finish this mission for you... I'll be a good hero for you, Momma... I miss you. I'll be good for you... I promise."