{59} Birthday

A/N TW: Mentions of suicide

I looked in the mirror, staring at the person looking back at me. I took a deep breath, splashing water over my face. The cool droplets calmed me.

"You're going to be fine Scarlett. It's just one day, nothing's changed. You will go downstairs and act like everything's normal," I gave myself a pep talk. Once I built up enough courage I was on my way to the kitchen.

I looked up in surprise, although I shouldn't be, when I saw Kol was here. I gave him a small smile before pulling out a monster out the fridge. I had formed a recent addiction to this shit. Seriously monster literally runs through my veins now.

"Hey mum."

"Hey sweetie," she said giving me a weak smile. Well it's better than nothing.

"Do you mind if I go over to Carter's? It's Alex's birthday."

"Of course not. Go. Have some fun."

"You sure cause I can just stay at home, I don't need to go." I'm sure Al would understand if I had to stay at home. 

"No go don't let me be a burden."

My eyes softened as I took in her state although I will admit she looks better then she has the past years and I had Kol to thank for that.

"Don't be stupid you're not a burden," I said giving her a hug, hoping if I squeezed her tight enough I could take her pain away. Kol joined in and I felt like a whole family, it was...weird but in a good way. 

"I'll be going in an hour tell me if you need anything." I gave Kol a warning look but I knew he'd take care of my mum. They both had the glint in their eyes whenever they looked at each other, a light I had never seen in my mum before. I could only wonder if I looked at Carter the same way my mum does to Kol. 

Kol nodded at me, a silent promise between us that he'd make sure my mum was going to be okay. I went upstairs with a heavy heart. 

I started read to take my mind off the depressing aura downstairs. I heard the front door open but I just thought it was my mum and Kol until someone started walking upstairs. My door burst open to reveal my boyfriend. Instantly a smile came to my face. I jumped up and gave him a hug, trying to slow my role so I didn't appear too clingy. 

"What you doing here?" I asked but it came out muffled due to Carter pressing my head into his chest.

"It's your birthday Red. I don't give a shit if you don't like it. You're my girlfriend I'm not going to leave you alone."

"Can't argue with that can I?" I asked rhetorically. "But how come you came now? I was coming to yours in an hour."

"I wanted some alone time with you before the boys bombard you," he said as we walked to the bed, still in each other's arms. I fell on the bed with Carter on top of me. I moved my head so I could see his face.

"Hiya."

"Hi," he chuckled.

"It was weird sleeping here you know. I'm so used to going asleep with you."

"I did tell you to sleep over but you insisted on sleeping at your house," he rolled his eyes.

"Well I can't stay stuck to you 24/7 can I?"

"I don't see a problem with that."

He was too cute. I smiled and gave him a kiss. What was supposed to be an innocent gesture turned heated very quickly. He gripped the bottom of my top but I grabbed his hands, lacing my fingers through his, and broke the kiss.