Chapter 13: The Briefing

Start from the beginning

Ms. Brook rubbed tears from her eyes. "He's my only son, Maria. I'm scared for him."

"I know you are. I am, too, but we'll figure it out." Maria gave Ms. Brook a quick hug.

***

The briefing was held where the Feast of Peace was the night before–the center of the village. The tables had been replaced by three rows of chairs, all of which faced the stage. Did Evie's rule-breaking deserve a court hearing? That seemed a little extreme for a camp punishment unless there was something else going on.

She nervously looked around the area. Her eyes widened when she saw two familiar figures standing with Ms. Julie. "Mom? Dad?" Evie asked.

Sure enough, it was Keegan and Charlotte. Both of Evie's parents wore a pair of jeans and a T-shirt.

Charlotte turned toward her daughter and gasped. "Evie!" She and Keegan hurried to her. One by one, they hugged her. Like Ms. Brook, Charlotte kissed her daughter's head. "Why would you put yourself in danger like that? When we got the call from Ms. Julie yesterday, we feared the worst."

Evie exchanged glances with her parents. "I couldn't just let Mr. Mateo do everything by himself."

"Wait, Mr. Mateo?" Keegan said.

Oops, Evie should have not said that.

Her father's face turned steaming red. "You mean, you tried to help that scrawny freak of a counselor? I told you not to get close to him!"

"But, Daddy, I'm in Mr. Mateo's group."

"You're what?" Instantly, Keegan stormed to Ms. Julie. He held his finger up to her face. "I demand that she's taken out of that group!"

Ms. Julie pushed his hand away. "I'm sorry, Mr. Madison, but Mateo needs to be Evie's counselor."

"Why?"

Evie thought back to what the witch doctor told her and the young man. Did her own parents not even know who they were? Why? Her blue eyes captured her group members and Sam sitting in the first row of chairs. John stood in the aisle next to them.

If things weren't already too heated, Mateo, Maria, and Ms. Brook stepped onto the scene. They entered the village's heart by the eastern entrance.

Paperblank's mayor, Mr. Clovis, also joined the briefing. He tossed his velvet cape over his shoulders and stepped onto the stage. Evie did not get a good look at him because he hid his face under his hood.

Mateo came within reach of Evie and her parents, followed closely by his party. He cringed when he recognized Evie's dad.

Keegan wasted no time. He grabbed Mateo's shirt collar and shook it. "I'm only going to say this once, you creep. If you lay a finger on my daughter, you're going to wish you were never born!"

"Keegan." Charlotte snatched her husband away from the frightened, young man. That was when she and Ms. Brook met each other's eyes. Instantly, they glared. "Ugh!" Charlotte shouted.

"You!" Ms. Brook fought.

Mateo, Evie, and Keegan jumped. As did Evie's friends.

Evie and Mateo instantly knew their mothers were sisters. What the witch doctor told them was true.

The two women pushed past their family members and stomped to each other.

"I told you I never wanted to see you again!" said Charlotte. Steam puffed out of her nose.