chapter thirty || thanksgiving

V I O L E T

V I O L E T

THANKSGIVING PT: 1

SEEMS LIKE THE OLDER I GET, THE MORE FUN family reunions and holidays seem to get. This whole week has just been incredibly fun.

   Bringing Alice with me seems more like I have a sibling and we're just out enjoying family time with the parents. Both mom and dad adored her and so has the rest of our family.

   When my mom and I moved to Salem all our family stayed here in Boston. It's only about forty five minutes away so we all manage. But tonight we all decided to have Thanksgiving here at my dads sisters, aunt Chloe's house, and our family and friends have all came. I can't remember the last time we had a holiday this epic.

   Both my sets of grandparents are here. My moms parents and my dads. My favorite aunt—Olivia—my moms baby sister and her boyfriend. Then both of my dad's siblings and their mutual friends.

   After dinner we moved into my aunts small ball room, which she completely decked out with a disco ball and a club like theme.

   "Karaoke time!" My aunt Olivia shouts through a mic. We all laugh at her crazy ass always wanting an excuse to show off her great vocals.

   "Girl you're drunk." My mom shouts back with a laughter. "Sit your butt down."

   My aunt ignores my mother and summons me up to her invisible stage. "V darling," See says real close to the mic. "Any requests?"

   Since I was a little girl, I always loved her singing to me. She would win contest from her incredible voice. During our family karaoke events I have been her number one fan, and I'm always full of requests for her. "Single Ladies!" I shout with a smile. Her version of Beyoncé's, Single Ladies is the best.

   The night continues with the adults getting drunk and doing some more karaoke along with dancing. I slip away a few times to talk on the phone with Miguel and I believe Alice does the same with Jay.

   "Girls!" My mom shouts over the music and points over to Alice and I sitting down on one of the tables. "You haven't sang." And she hands Alice the mic.

    With a laugh, Alice tries to protest. "Oh. Uh...I don't really sing." She looks a bit shy.

   "We can duet." I suggest and swoop in to save my friend. "If you want?" And she nods in agreement.

   "Woo hoo!!" My mom screams.

   Jesus. She's drunk!