Chapter 12: Secret of the Forest

Start from the beginning

Evie and Mateo grew more anxious. Sweat trickled down their faces.

"Speaking of which..." Evergreen smiled creepily at Mateo. "I'm sure y'all didn't know that Mateo here can use magic."

"Wait, what?" The children's voices squeaked.

Mateo blushed. He hated it when someone put him under pressure.

"Of course." Evergreen nodded. "Every Pinta Ranger can. Remember, they rely solely on nature to succeed on their missions."

Oh gosh. Mateo was screwed.

"Ah ha!" Evie's voice was so loud that her friends jumped. She pointed at Ashlynn. "I told you he was a ranger!"

"Stop it, Evergreen!" Mateo snapped, leaping to his feet. "It was supposed to be a secret!"

She shrugged. "But you can't hide a secret from your family forever." She winked at Evie.

"Wait, 'family'?" Evie's smile vanished.

"Of course, dear," Evergreen explained. There was a very amused look on her face. She fumbled with her staff. "You want to know why y'all are the Pebble Masters?" She paused. "Because, Evie, you and Mateo are cousins."

The area fell into complete utter silence.

Evie and Mateo's faces grayed. They looked like they were about to throw up. They didn't even blink.

"Whoa, really?" Ashlynn said.

"Indeed." Evergreen grinned her creepy grin. "To defeat the basilisk, the Pebble Masters must regain lost trust between humans and magical beings–trust that was broken before they were even born."

"I don't believe you!" Now Evie was on her feet. Tears ran down her cheeks. "Mateo and I have never met before!"

"That's because your mothers vowed to never see each other again," Evergreen said in a gentle voice.

"I don't believe you!!" Evie's life really was just one big lie. She turned on her heel and stomped away from her group. She threw open the door of the hospital and vanished inside.

Mateo didn't take the reveal too well, either. "There must be a mistake," he argued.

Evergreen shook her head. "There is no mistake, child. It was destiny for you and Evie to meet at this camp. The Union sent you here because they also know the truth."

"What?" Mateo's own colleagues lied to him? "I... You're crazy, lady."

She chuckled. "It's not the first time someone's told me that. Now, before you can even start your real mission, we need to heal you." Evergreen moved her staff toward Mateo's belly, but he slapped it away.

"Don't touch me!" His cheeks puffed out. He also stormed away from the group. Mateo slammed the hospital's door shut; it looked like it would fall off.

The group members shivered.

John sighed. "Well, that went well," he mumbled under his breath.

***

"Is it true?" Ashlynn fixed her eyes on Evergreen, who made herself comfortable again on the mat. "Are Evie and Mateo really cousins?"

"They are. Only the Pebble Masters can free the Green Guardian and save the forest." Evergreen glanced at Sam. "Sam, you're here for a reason. You're friends with both their grandmother and Euphorbia."