Chapter Nine - A Night Off

After constant missions and vigorous training sessions, both the Kybuck Clan and Ruby's Group were granted a night off. The group decided to attend a party celebrating the election win of Robyn Hill. On the way to the party, Ren discusses the threat of Salem. 

Ren: We spent so much time worrying about how Ironwood will react to the truth about her, but have any of us considered how we're even going to beat her if we manage to work past that?

Nora: Jinn said she can't be beaten.

Ruby: Jinn told Oz that he couldn't destroy her. 

Nora: But maybe someone else could? 

Ruby: I don't know. Lord Scourge seems to think so. 

Scourge: It is not Salem that we should be concerned with at the moment. 

Ren: I understand that Darth Jadus is powerful, but how is someone who can be killed more dangerous than someone who is immortal? 

Ren's question brought legitimate concern from the rest of the group. With the exception of the Kybuck Clan, Ruby and the others failed to see why Darth Jadus was more dangerous than Salem. 

Scourge: I believe Darth Jadus has the means to kill her. 

Yang: Then why hasn't he done it? 

Scourge: Because it wouldn't benefit him. Darth Jadus sees Salem as someone who can be used for his own purposes. The moment she fulfils her purpose, Darth Jadus will strike. 

Blake: How can you be so sure? 

Scourge: I know him. He is a master manipulator. Darth Jadus was able to convince the entire Sith Empire including his own daughter that he was killed in a terrorist attack only to reemerge in an attempt to overthrow the Dark Council. 

As Scourge says all this, the threat posed by Darth Jadus was made ever more clear. Not only was he incredibly powerful, but he was also incredibly cunning. 

Ren: We should be training right now.

Nora: We've trained enough! Take some time to--

Ren: We don't have time!

The situation soon became tense as Ren and Nora became frustrated with each other. It was at this point that the group split up. Blake and Yang would go to a club while Weiss, Oscar and Jaune go to a movie. As the rest arrive at the party, they are greeted by Penny. 

Penny: Ruby, Nora, Ren, Kybuck Clan!

Ruby: Hey, Penny.

Penny: I am so glad you made it. It's just Marrow and I tonight, so more friends means more fun. Where are the others?

Nora: Weiss is out with the boys, and Blake and Yang are off doing their own thing...again.

Ren: At least they're back to being friends.

Nora: Friends, huh? Just friends?

Petro: Can you two cut it out, already? This might be our only chance for a night off. 

Ren: I thought you were taking this seriously. I guess I was wrong. 

Petro: I'm getting real sick of your attitude, Ren! All you've done for the whole night is complain. Nobody asked you to come. If you don't want to be here, then head back to the Academy!

It was at this point that Katooni steps in. 

Katooni: Stop it! Both of you! Fighting about it won't change anything! 

As Katooni stepped in, Petro calmed down, but simply glared at Ren. Ren simply walked past him. 

Petro: Sorry about that, Katooni. 

Zatt: Looks like Ren and Nora have their own issues to work over. 

Petro: I'm not about to dwell on the issues between those two. Whatever's going on is their own business. 

With that, the group entered the building and attended the victory party. As they mingled in the party, Katooni felt that something was off. Katooni soon meets with Robyn Hill.

Katooni: Congratulations on your victory, Miss Hill. You must be proud. 

Robyn: I didn't do this for the glory, kid. I did this to help the people of Mantle. The people here need someone to help them since Ironwood doesn't give a damn about them. 

Katooni then thought about Ironwood's words. She couldn't help but agree with Robyn. 

Katooni: There is much wisdom in your words. I wish you luck. 

Katooni nods her head in respect as Robyn prepares for her victory speech. As she meets up with Petro, they are bumped into by Marrow and Joana. 

Petro: Guess they don't teach you manners, huh? 

Joana: Maybe you should tell that to your red skinned friend. 

Petro: I wouldn't exactly call him my friend. 

The conversation was soon interrupted by Fiona Thyme who addresses the crowd. 

Fiona: I want to thank everyone for going to the polls today. This is Mantle's moment. I know that, like me, you're all thrilled that we chose Robyn as our voice in Atlas. No one has fought harder for Mantle than she has. And...I know Robyn will continue that fight on the Council. Will you share a few words?

Robyn soon takes center stage and addresses the crowd. 

Robyn: I've never been much for public speaking, probably wasn't my best idea ever to go into politics. Thank you so much, everyone, for choosing me. You said you believe in me. But I'm the one who believes in all of you. You've proven to me that as individuals, we are strong. But together, we're unstoppable. So no matter what happens tonight, win or lose, we will continue to fight for our city, because it is this city that brings us together.

As the results of the election are about to be announced, Katooni looks around to see two hooded figures moving through the ground. A prosthetic tail could be seen on one of them while the other had a familiar presence to him. In that moment, a threat would soon reveal itself.