Chapter Six - Pomp & Circumstance

After the success of the mission to clear the Dust Mine of Grimm, the Kybuck Clan and Ruby's Group along with the Ace-Ops exited the mine. Ruby's group were still amazed at how flawlessly the Ace-Ops were able to work together.

Ruby: Perfect complementary teamwork. Oh, yeah, I want to have my friends' backs just like that.

Harriet: Friends? 

Elm: This isn't the schoolyard, kid.

Scourge: That is perhaps the most sensible thing I've heard from you since our collaboration. Still, you devotion to Ironwood is delusional. 

Clover: You think you could do better? 

Scourge: I've seen sycophantic Moffs plan better than Ironwood. This....plan is simply a drawn out suicide note. It will show weakness in which our enemies will take full advantage of. 

Clover grew more and more distrustful of Scourge. Katooni could see that Scourge's cynical and sardonic personality was causing friction between them and the Ace-Ops.

Scourge: Katooni, I will be waiting at the Ebon Hawk. When you and your allies are done wasting time, we will continue. 

Scourge then walked away and boarded the Ebon Hawk. Ruby was quick to try and lighten the mood. 

Ruby: What do you guys want to do when we get back to Atlas? Sightseeing? Oh, what should we visit first? 

Petro: We have done sightseeing. We pretty much walked the whole way here. 

As Petro said this, Ironwood arrived with a battalion of Atlesian troops. The Atlesian troops began moving in to secure the mine. 

Ironwood: Can I get the team leaders over here? There's something I'd like to discuss with you. You too, Qrow.

Petro: Have fun with the brass, Katooni. We'll meet you back at the ship. 

Katooni soon joined Ruby, Jaune, Qrow and Clover walk up to Ironwood. He then gives some orders to Clover. Clover nods his head as he walks away. 

Qrow: New problems in Mantle?

Ironwood: More of the same, unfortunately.

Ironwood then shows a holographic projection of a man who was with the group when they were arrested. His mugshot along with a photograph of his corpse was shown. 

Ironwood: Someone in Mantle is taking out public leaders who speak out against Atlas. Specifically, people who speak out against me. It didn't look like a pattern at first. But this is the third murder of its kind in the last week.

Jaune: Wait a minute. That's the guy that rode with us after we were arrested.

Ruby: He died?

Qrow: Your opposition in Mantle dropping dead isn't exactly a good look for you, huh?

Ironwood then shows holographic images of two destroyed Atlesian Knight-200s. Katooni was quick to notice something familiar about the marks on the Atlesian Knights. 

Ironwood: Someone destroyed these Atlesian Knights the same time as the murder. It's possible that the two are one and the same, but there's no way to be sure. 

Katooni: I...I know those marks. Those two Knights were destroyed by a Lightsaber. 

Jaune: Could it be Jadus? 

Katooni: No. Darth Jadus wouldn't do something so...brazen. This has to be someone else. 

There was something strange about this. Katooni knew that these two were destroyed by a Lightsaber, but had no idea as to who was responsible. She knew it couldn't have been Darth Jadus or Lord Scourge. She also knew full well that no one in the Kybuck Clan was responsible. 

Ironwood: Not really worried about my public image, but it is causing unrest. I think someone's trying to frame me and, by extension, Atlas. And it's working.

Jaune: Well, if it wasn't for the embargo making everybody so mad, people probably wouldn't be so quick to blame you for everything else.

Katooni: Jaune's right. People are scared. 

Ironwood: No. No, you're right. Things in Mantle have been...hard to manage lately. I'm not blind to its issues. In fact, that's what I want to talk to you about. With the launch of this mobile communications tower and tensions down in Mantle, I think there's a lot of good your teams can do here.

Suddenly, Ironwood receives a call on his communicator device. After a moment, Ironwood sighs. 

Ironwood: What? Already? Here? No, it's fine. Let him land. I'll deal with him myself. 

Katooni: What's wrong? 

Ironwood: It seems someone isn't happy with our acquisition of this mine. 

Jaune: How's that a problem? 

Katooni could tell that the person that Ironwood was referring to had to be someone of high status. She glances over to the abandoned Dust Mine. It didn't take long for Katooni to deduce what owned this mine. 

Katooni: This mine belonged to the Schnee Dust Company, didn't it?

Ironwood: Yes. It doesn't help that Jacques Schnee is running for a seat on the Atlas Council. He is....an insufferable man. 

Qrow: Aren't all Schnees? 

Ironwood sighs as he knew full well that Qrow was referring to Winter. Katooni had heard stories about the Schnee Dust Company and how they reportedly used Faunus as cheap labor. All the pieces surrounding the mystery of the tragedy of the Mines began to fall in line. However, she is soon interrupted when a ship bearing the logo of the Schnee Dust Company lands on the landing pad. 

Petro: Oh great. 

As the Schnee Dust Company airship lands on the landing pad, Jacques Schnee exits the ship. Weiss immediately becomes uneasy at the sight of her father. It soon became clear that Jacques Schnee was not happy about the situation with the mine. It was clear to everyone that they were about to have an unpleasant conversation with the head of the Schnee Dust Company.