THE SCORCH: DAY 7

(UPDATE: I'm back and hopefully I can avoid another writing slump!)

I woke gasping for breath, as I had in the Box. But instead of my memories being forcefully taken, I had just had them forcefully given back.

I thought back to my parents, to my friends and I as children, working for WICKED. Thomas and I's work on the Maze, and our attempted escape.

To try and reconcile the feelings and thoughts I had before with the thoughts I had after was painstaking. I felt like an entirely different person.

I did understand what Janson meant now, but I had also betrayed WICKED for a reason. The things they did to us... Chuck, draining people, tricking us after the Maze...

Now, they wanted me to betray Thomas in the most terrible way I could imagine. I won't do it, I can't.

But they don't have to know that. If they thought I was just going to run back to everyone, they would just get someone else to do this, or they would use other methods to get me to cooperate.

I was going to have to pretend I was on their side. Maybe being on the inside would help us get past them and through the Safe Haven without bloodshed.

I could only hope that I was still able to communicate with Thomas. I now knew that our link was private. Jansen might know about it, but that doesn't mean he can access it.

Thomas? I reached out with my mind.

(Y/N)! Are you guys okay? We thought you'd have made it to the mountains by now...

Not exactly. I knew my wariness was traveling through the bond. I didn't even know where to start.

What happened?

It's Jansen. Apparently the only way for one group to make it to the Safe Haven is to kill the other.

Well, we're obviously not going to do that.

Newt isn't immune Thomas. Others too. They told us, and I don't know if people are going to sacrifice themselves... I got separated.

What?!

Jansen. He took me away from everyone and told me I had a bigger task to do. Then... then he gave me my memories back.

All of them?

Yes, I remember everything. My parents, us as kids, you and I working for WICKED and us betraying them... I didn't mention the storage room.

I know the griever sting gave him back some memories, but I don't know how many.

What did you remember in the Maze? I asked hesitantly.

Definitely not everything. Just bits and pieces, mostly about the Maze and what WICKED was doing.

Thomas, there's not a cure. They lied. Do you remember that? The only way they can cure people is by draining us immunes.

That's why we betrayed them to the Right Arm! Brenda had said they seemed to know me already!

Anyways, they wanted me to trick you Thomas. They wanted me to pretend that I gave you up to them for them to kill you...

Oh my god...

They said you're the most promising candidate. Like if they got that brain response from you, they might be closer to the cure.

Oh...

I'm not going to do it Thomas. I can't. But I think it's best if I don't tell them that quite yet. They're going to try to stop us all from uniting. Maybe if I'm on the inside, I can help us get away.

The doorknob began to turn.

Thomas, I have to go. I'll talk to you as soon as I can.

Can I trust you? He hadn't said anything in a while, and now I knew why.

I wasn't expecting it, even though it was a reasonable question. And it hurt... a lot.

Of course you can trust me Thomas, I said quietly. I have to go, but do you remember the storage room? Before we tried to escape? Try to remember and you'll understand why I'd never hurt you...

Jansen strolled in the room as I cut the connection. I eased myself up into a sitting position.

"So, can I trust you'll be a little more cooperative now?" he asked condescendingly.

His tone infuriated me, but I didn't let it show. All that he saw was me looking guilty and remorseful for the way I acted.

"Yes," I said softly. "I understand now." Not a lie, just not about what he thinks I'm talking about.

"Good. The others left this morning."He said, and I tried my best not to react, managing a confused expression rather than a concerned one. "We told them you'd been moved to the other group."

I nodded. At least I wouldn't have to pretend to betray them yet...

"You will be placed in the mountains. We will tell you when to communicate with Thomas..." he said, motioning to one of the guards, "here's a communication device. We'll give you supplies and a map when it's time for you to go."

He turned to walk out the door. And though it killed me to say my next words, I managed to get them out. "Jansen... I'm sorry. I want to help WICKED find a cure, for everyone." I hoped that last part didn't give away the fact that I wasn't entirely on board.

He turned back around and gave me a considering look. "We believe that with your help, we can find a cure."

Did he mean a cure that didn't require killing innocent kids? It was hard to deny my urge to get the cure.

I wouldn't do it on their terms. I wouldn't betray my friends, even if it meant saving the world. But that didn't mean I couldn't still save the world...