THE SCORCH: DAY 2 PT. 2

We made it to the checkpoint without any hiccups.

It was amazing seeing such towering structures. The Maze had been a threat, but these... they were remnants of a world that didn't exist anymore.

I couldn't imagine what they had looked like before the Flares.

The Right Arm had other smaller bases throughout the city. They'd claimed spots with a lot of supplies and kept them guarded.

By the time we made it, it was getting dark out.

Our guides told us that they tried to only use smaller roads, and that cranks didn't really like daylight once they got past a certain phase.

That's what WICKED hadn't really explained to us. The process moved at different rates for people.

Some could have only mild symptoms for weeks, staying mostly normal except for some physical symptoms.

They told us that there were pockets of people that chose to live in the city. Some that hadn't even been exposed yet.

We made it inside one of the Right Arm's checkpoints. It was in the basement of a building, where there were stacks of supplies in one room and some other rooms for people to stay in.

One of the older guys motioned us to the middle of the room.

"Alright, we stay here tonight, take our time through the city."

"That's what we'll do through the rest of the city too," one of the younger people, Bella, who were taking us all the way said.

Someone showed us to one of the spare rooms, and we set up camp for the night.

Unfortunately, even with the wealth of supplies here, we couldn't eat whatever we wanted.

I sat down next to Newt and the other guys. We were friendly with the girls now, but we were still kind of separate groups.

It had been easier traveling through the city than the desert, but I was still extremely tired.

I leaned my head back against the wall and closed my eyes.

(Y/N)?

Thomas?

(Y/N)! Hey, I've been trying to reach you all day!

Hey, sorry, we had a close call with some cranks and then we found these rebels called the Right Arm, and now they're helping us make our way through the city.

I was already so fatigued, so it was an effort to keep the connection.

Is everyone okay?

Yeah, everyone here is okay. How about you?

We're okay. We had to fight off some cranks, but we met people too. A group of people living in the city.

Yeah, we've heard of people doing that on this side too.

We even went to a party, he laughed.

Damn, wish we were on your side, I joked.

Newt and the others noticed my laughter and were giving me an expectant look.

"Are you... Are you talking to Thomas right now?" Newt asked.

They started grilling me and asking me to tell him stuff. It was really overwhelming, and I just had to put my head in my hands

Hey, you still there? Thomas asked.

Yeah, your friends won't stop pestering me about this telepathy thing. Fry says hi, and Clint wants to know about everyone, and Newt wants to form a plan.

Sorry they're being ridiculous. Tell them I said hi.

I did, and I finally said, "Please shut the hell up before my head explodes!"

The backed off, and I felt Thomas laughing. He must have heard.

Newt's right though. We need to make a plan. Minho and I have been thinking of some stuff.

Okay, shoot.

Well, WICKED said only one group can enter the safe haven right? So, do we try to just barge in, or should we meet up before.

But how? We'd have to go all the way around the mountains...

Not exactly. We've been talking to the people here, and some of them, I felt some awkwardness at that and was very confused but he continued, they know passages that cut through the mountains.

Can you trust them?

Well, it's only two of them, and we made a deal to get them the cure too.

Okay, that sounds good. I'll talk to Newt and everyone, but I'm really tired and need some sleep.

Yeah, yeah of course... talk tomorrow?

Talk tomorrow, I smiled.

Night (Y/N)...

Goodnight Thomas...

The boys hadn't bother me again after I snapped at them, and everyone seemed to be asleep.

I scooted down and put my head on my pack, about to close my eyes.

Newt turned over to face me. We were closer than I remembered, he was only about a foot away.

"What did Tommy say?" he asked quietly. I knew he missed them as much as I did.

"First of all, I'm sorry for snapping at you guys..."

"Don't apologize. I couldn't imagine people talking to me in my head, it'd make me crazy too," he grinned.

"Ha ha, very funny." I replied, rolling my eyes, but still laughing quietly.

"So what did he say?" he asked again.

"They have a plan. They met some people who might know a way through the mountains, so we can meet up before heading for the safe haven." I summarized

"We'll tell the others tomorrow," he flipped back onto his back with his hands beneath his head. "It sounds pretty easy doesn't it?"

"Well, yeah I guess. We just have to get through a crank infested city, then across more desert, and avoid WICKED while we directly disobey what they told us to do." I said sarcastically.

We both started laughing, but we tried to keep it down so as to not wake the others.

He tilted his head back towards me. "We've faced the impossible before, we can do it again."

"Maybe, but we're down a few of our best." I pointed out.

"As I've said before greenie girl, you are the best," he smirked, "so I think we'll be just fine."

I just rolled my eyes and laughed it off.

"I'm serious (Y/N), we'll get through this. We'll get back to them."

It was a rare occasion that Newt actually used my name, so I had to take him seriously.

I just nodded. He smiled and turned his head back to face the ceiling.

"Goodnight Newt.." I whispered.

"Goodnight greenie girl..." I heard him say softly before I fell asleep.