DAY 3

I woke to Thomas shaking me by the shoulder. I figured I'd have to get up early with Runners for guards (since they had to get ready before the Maze opened) but it was still dark out, with just a slight tint of grey to the sky suggesting it was nearing dawn.

My head still throbbed from my injury last night.

I sat up. There were two nice things about waking up so early in the Glade. One, the typical stifling heat and humidity was replaced by the slightest of chills. Two, I could shower without having to worry about the rotation.

Then I remembered Alby, and I wondered if I'd have the courage to go back to the Homestead anytime soon. I glanced over, but the windows were dark and it was quiet.

Thomas seemed to read my mind. "We have some time before we have to leave. If you want to shower, I can stand guard."

I nodded and stood up. I guess I'd just leave my things here. But, I did shake off my blanket and pillow, then I rolled them up and put them in Chuck's hammock, where he was still sleeping like a baby.

We went into the Homestead, and went upstairs. I grabbed my stuff from the bedroom and repeated the same routine from the other day. Washing my clothes, hanging them up to dry, showering, brushing my teeth. The hot water eased the soreness in my throat and the pain in my head.

This time, I did remember to bring my extra shirt. It was still big on me, even though it was the smallest one I could find. I dried my hair, then opened the door.

It was a little lighter now. I put my stuff back in the bedroom, and Thomas and I went downstairs.

I saw Alby still lying on the table, but Newt had actually left his side. I hope he got some rest last night.

We went out the front door to go get some food. The rest of the Glade was waking up, and Fry and the cooks were already working on breakfast in the kitchen back in the Homestead. They got up about the same time as the Runners.

I closed the door behind me and Thomas glanced back at me. His eyes widened in concern and he huffed out a breath.

"What?" I said, shuffling my feet. It was the first time I'd spoken today, and it hurt. I winced. I was not going to be talking much today. My voice sounded scratchy and hoarse.

Then I noticed he was looking at my neck. He started to reach a hand out, almost like he was going to touch my neck.

I knew it felt sore, but it must look bad too if he reacted like this. I guess he hadn't been able to see it in the darkness earlier. I walked over to one of the glass windows on the porch. All I could make out in the low light was a darker band on my throat. A bruise, circling my neck.

"How do you feel?" he said tentatively. Well, I really didn't feel like talking much today, from the pain, but I scratched out "I'm okay. It's not that bad"

He didn't look too convinced, but it's hard to compare a little headache and a bruise to a griever sting and think you have it bad. I just started walking, and he followed.

I grabbed my canteen from Chuck's hammock, then I walked over to the water station. Thomas was still following me. He filled his canteens and stuffed them in his pack. I drank from mine, relishing the temporary relief from the soreness in my throat.

"You know. You're handling this all really well." He said, after watching my down a whole canteen and refill it.

"Really? Because I feel like I'm going insane."

"You haven't even cried once. Most people freak out and cry, without being attacked and accused of terrible things."

"Did you freak out?"