DAY 12

Screaming. We woke up to the most disturbing screams I've ever heard.

It was still dark outside. Boys jumped out of their beds, trying to figure out what was going on.

The guards were back, and they were bursting through our door. They had flashlights and guns pointed at the windows. Where there were people, but... they were like those people on the video. They had the Flare.

They were screaming guttural screams and yanking at the bars, trying to shove their heads through. Some were screaming coherent things. One man was screaming, "Kill me! Kill me please!" We all backed away from the windows as far as we could. I bumped into someone. I turned around to see and it was Newt. He grabbed my arm, pushing me behind him.

The guards started shooting at the people. At first it didn't scare them off, but it was more like they realized it wasn't worth it anymore. The guards left and came back a while later, saying they had secured the perimeter and that we should all go back to sleep.... because that would be sooo easy now.

I saw some boys lay back down, and I saw some just sit down with their heads in their hands. I tried lying back down again, and surprisingly, I was able to fall back asleep.

When I woke up the next time, it was light outside. Some boys were up and meandering around the room. I saw Minho pacing, and I furrowed my eyebrows. "They locked the door," he explained.

Newt was still asleep next to me. I sat up and saw Thomas staring down at the wooden figure that Chuck had given him. I still couldn't believe he was really gone.

The one guard guy from the helicopter eventually opened the door, motioning us out into the main room. There were tables of food, lots of it. Who the hell knows where they got it from. But, none of us really cared. We dug in. Soon, I was so full that I felt sick, but it beat starving.

Some kid seemed to finally wake up and asked, "What if it was poisoned?" I rolled my eyes and said, "If they wanted us dead, they could have killed us already, or just left us in the Maze."

After we ate, we noticed that all the guards were gone again. Considering we had no clue where we were or what to do, we kind of needed them. Most of the doors upstairs were locked, and no one replied to our knocks or shouts, so we headed downstairs. I was behind Minho and Thomas, and as we neared the bottom of the stares, they both flinched back. I looked up, and all of the guards were hanging from the ceiling, dead. Other boys made their way down and yelled out in horror.

I felt like I was going to be sick. Why?! Why would they have all hung themselves?

"Come on everyone back upstairs," Newt said. We made our way back up the stairs to see a man standing on the opposite side of the room. When everyone had made it up the stairs, he began to speak.

"Hello. I'm happy to see you all here," he was a snivelly sort of man, who sort of looked like a rat.

Rat man continued, "We are very lucky to have found you. Those rebels can be quite annoying sometimes." My stomach dropped. This man, he was from WICKED. We'd thought we were free of them.

"They brought you right into the red zone, or as we like to call it, the Scorch. Unfortunately, this means that they had all been contaminated by the Flare." The rat man started to pace, and it was then that I noticed he was just a projection, he wasn't actually here.

"What the hell is wrong with you people? Why can't you just leave us alone?" Thomas shouted.

"Ah, Thomas. I know you all think we are your enemy. But the real enemy is the Flare, and we are simply doing what we must to control it... Now, I believe our late Chancellor Ava Paige told you that you were immune yes? Well that's not exactly true." There were shouts of protest and confusion at that.

"You see, some of you are immune yes, but some of you were placed in the Maze as control subjects. I believe you caught a glimpse of what becomes of someone who is infected last night yes?" How did he know that if they just found us?

"But, do not worry, because there is still time to save those of you that may have been infected. At the center of the Scorch there is a Safe Haven. It is here you will find the Cure, but first, you have to survive the Scorch."
Guards starting pouring in from downstairs, they were dragging other people, other teenagers like us. But they were all girls, except for one boy.

"Oh and to make sure you give it your all, we've added a little competition. You will be divided up and placed on opposite sites of the Safe Haven. First group to reach it gets the Cure." He stopped pacing and gave us all one last analyzing look. "Good luck." And he disappeared.

Guards started shouting at us to get outside. We were met with the blinding sun and blistering sand. There were two helicopters. The 9 of us started heading for one, but the guards starting shouting at us and stopping us. Each of the other group had a guard, and about half of the guards starting dragging some people the one of the helicopters.

I noticed that we each had a guard on us, and I realized that they were splitting us up. I frantically turned around to Minho, Newt, Fry and Thomas. "Guys, they're splitting us up. They're separating us!" I was panicking. I would not be pitted against them - I couldn't.

Guards starting dragging some of us, including me and Newt, to one of the helicopters. I fought against my guard, desperately trying to free myself. I looked to Minho- to Thomas, they were both screaming, so was Newt.

I elbowed my guard in the stomach and broke free. I immediately rushed to Minho and Thomas. Thomas grabbed my hand, but he had two guards on him, starting to drag him away. "Thomas!," I was sobbing. We both realized there was no avoiding what was about to happen. He stopped struggling as my guard finally reached me again.

Right before our hands were yanked apart, he looked me in the eyes and said, "I will find you. I promise." I nodded, tears streaming down my face. Minho shouted back at us, "Just make it to the Safe Haven! We'll find a way back!" I nodded, and looked at Thomas again. He was trying to glance back at me as they dragged him into the helicopter, too far away now to hear, but I did hear him. Don't give up. I'll find you.

But his mouth wasn't moving. I was hearing it in my head. Thomas? I tried to ask. I saw his head whip towards me, but maybe it was just a coincidence, just me thinking I heard him. Any connection there might have been broke as the helicopter doors were slammed in my face. I fell onto my elbows as the guards shoved me in.

"Hey, greenie girl, it'll be okay. We'll find them," Newt said pulling me into a sitting position. I saw the anger and sadness in his eyes at being separated.

I looked around to see who all was with us. Fry smiled sadly and touched me on the shoulder. Clint was also with us, but the rest were girls. Some looked my age, some younger, some older. They looked just as distressed as we were. No one spoke, and we flew in silence.

Eventually, the helicopter touched down. It was late afternoon now. There was nothing but sand in my field of vision as we stepped out. The chopper took off, blowing sand in our faces. Then, we were alone.

It was all just another one of WICKED's tests. And as usual, it was a matter of life or death. I looked at everyone, wondering which of us were not immune, who might be infected.

Newt locked eyes with me, and I could see how afraid he was, how afraid everyone was. And I knew that this was going to be so much different than the Maze.