4. Choco ice cream it is

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, your friend was right about the lymph nodes on his neck" Dr. Branson said as he did the same thing Liam had done the day before "Lift up your arms for me Matty".

Matty did as he was told and Dr. Branson starting examining him under his arms, Matty was being a very good boy, Louis was proud of him.

"Oh, and today he seems a little paler than normal, his cheeks are usually rosy, but they aren't anymore" Louis added.

"I noticed that" Dr Branson said as he finished his examination "The lymph nodes on his arm pits are swollen too".

"What do you think is going on with him?" Louis asked nervously.

"I want to make a few blood tests, mainly a blood count, they we'll know what's going on" Dr. Brandon said.

"But you must have an idea, right?" Louis wondered, he wanted answers.

"I can't be sure without the tests, it could be a number of things, from a simple infection to something... else" the doctor replied.

"And that something else could be serious?" questioned Louis, he could feel his chest starting to get tight with anguish.

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves, we're going to draw some blood, send it to the lab, and when we get the results, we'll see what the course of action is" Dr. Branson repeated.

"When will you get the results?" Louis asked.

"This afternoon, then someone from the office is going to call you to set up another appointment so we can discuss the results, okay?".

Louis gulped, trying to get rid of the knot on his throat, but it was not going away.

A nurse walked in a few moments later to draw the blood and Matty cried a little because of the needle, but then the nurse put a superman band-aid on which made him smile again. Then the doctor gave Matty a lollipop for being a good boy and that was it, he said they were good to go, but not before telling Louis that there was no use to worry just yet.

"Do you want to go get some ice cream Matty?" Louis asked as they walked back to the car (he had asked the doctor if it was okay for Matty to have ice cream and he had said yes).

"Choco ice cweam?" Matty wondered.

"Whataver flavor you want monkey" Louis offered.

"Choco!" Matty said with a smile.

"Okay, choco ice cream it is" Louis nodded.

He loved to see Matty smile, the fact that something was wrong with him was pretty clear now, the doctor hadn't denied it, he just said they didn't know what it was yet, but seeing him smile made him forget about it for a couple of seconds.

They left the car back at home and walked to the ice-cream parlor that was near their flat, and Louis ordered chocolate ice cream for Matty and strawberry for himself, and he asked for cups, cones always meant half of the ice cream ended on Matty's shirt, even if Matty ate it carefully, he was still a two year old kid. They sat at a long counter inside the parlour, it had tall chairs so Matty was at level with the counter and he could it his ice-cream properly.

"Papa no mowe" Matty said and pushed the little cup away from him, he had his mouth covered in chocolate.

"Really?" Louis asked.

He looked at the cup, he had only eaten half of it, and it was his favourite ice cream, he always asked for seconds...

"No hunwy" Matty said shaking his head.

"It's okay baby, you don't have to eat it" Louis said as he cleaned Matty's mouth with a napkin.

"Go home?" The little boy asked.