25 | heart of gold

Start from the beginning

My eyebrows shot up in surprise. It's a big deal for a common pack member to go with an Alpha...especially for such a crucial mission, and Maddy knew that.

"Why?"

She bit her up, looking hesitant. "I'd like to go there with Domingo...or Andrew… whatever he likes himself being called. I think he has too many scars, too many memories of the past that won't let him move on even if he tries to if he keeps living here. Alpha Malcolm lives far away. In the mountains. It's much more peaceful there, much different from his homeland. I'd be able to heal better there." 

I sighed, pinching my nose. She had put me in a sticky situation. Bringing 2 pack members with me could be misinterpreted by Alpha Malcolm. 

"I'll see what I can do." I said, trying not to promise too soon. 

She blinked, a slowly a  smile formed on her face. "At least it wasn't an outright no."

I chuckled a bit. 

"So," I said. "You don't hate her?" I said in a low voice, beckoning to Olivia. 

"No." She said with surety. 

"But why?" I asked, perplexed. 

"Because she gave me a reason to keep him."

<><><>

"Everytime I ask you to get some sleep, it doesn't mean anything to you, does it?" Tammy asked, in an adorable chastising tone, as she feigned a glare at me.

I looked up from the pile of files that were spread in front of me and gave her a guilty smile. 

"I was busy?" I drawled, trying to sound as convincing as possible. 

She sighed, shaking her head in disappointment. 

"You'd work yourself sick at this level, Fleur. You've been awake since 22 hours now and you've been working relentlessly. You have a flight to catch in about 3 hours and you're still not in bed. Werewolves need more rest than humans because we consume so much energy when we're awake, I cannot allow you to overwork like this."

I looked away from her and back on the file in front of me. How could I tell her I didn't sleep, not because I didn't want to, but because I simply couldn't. I like to work because it helps me keep my mind of reality. It helps me not think. When I'm indulged in tasks, my mind is diverted from the empty feeling in my heart and I get to have a few moments of solace. 

In fact I hate it when it's time to sleep. I hate that I can't sleep even if I want to. Everytime I lay down on my bed, I'm instantly hit by that familiar feeling of despair. My heart aches for the one person who doesn't want me, my breathing shallows and no matter how much I try to block my wolf, her hurting seeps into mine and I cannot ignore the grief anymore. Perhaps if I'd let myself cry it all out for once, I'd help me. Perhaps if I'd talk to someone about it, I'd help me. But I cannot do either. I refuse to shed anymore tears for him who doesn't even bother about me, who doesn't even want to see me. And I sure as hell don't want to expose my weaknesses in front of anyone, not even my parents. 

"Can't sleep even if I want to. My sleep cycle is all messed up." I replied, trying to brush her off. 

Tammy, however, was adamant. "Fair enough. But you don't necessarily have to sleep. Rest, at least. Take your nose off those book," 

I gave her a blank look but she maintained her adamancy. 

Finally after a few seconds of a staring competition of who's more stubborn, I gave in and sighed.  

"Yeah, okay fine, I'll keep these away. What now?" I said, begrudgingly. 

"Yay!" She exclaimed, happily. "We'll have a girl's gossip session, come on!" 

<><><>

Once we were comfortably settled in bed with each having their own bag of chips in their hands, she whipped out her phone and started looking for a picture of Alpha Malcolm. 

"First, we'll talk about your hubby- to- be." She said, excitedly.

I rolled my eyes, chuckling. "We're not getting married for sure, Tam. He hasn't said yes. I'm just going there for a meeting and to see the pack." 

"Oh please, he's so interested." She said. "He literally sent a reply in a day and he invited you over to see his pack and get acquainted to his pack members, which uninterested person does that?"

"He's just being very sensible. I need to know what kind of a pack he rules before mating him. It's a wise decision, indeed." 

Tammy looked at me for a second before giving me a teasing look. "Of course, of course, everything he does will be sensible to you."

I laughed at her silliness, shaking my head. 

"Anyway, he's hot so I understand." 

"He's alright," I shrugged. "I saw him from afar once in a meeting before." 

She looked at me with eyes filled with horror. "You didn't see his picture? You didn't see him from up close?" 

I shook my head. 

"Then how come you're so whipped?" 

I facepalmed at this. "Oh goddess, Tam. I'm not whipped or anything. It genuinely is a wise decision in my opinion."

She obviously didn't believe a word that I said. "Yeah, okay, whatever. Let's stalk his Instagram." 

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE AND COMMENT! 🥰 YOUR COMMENTS MAKE ME SMILE LIKE CRAZY!❣

- 1500 words -

- add this story to your library to get a notification everytime I update!-

Hello there!! Hope you liked the chapter!

From the next chapter a totally new phase of this book will start for which I'm so excited!

1. Predictions on Alpha Malcolm?

2. Are you a sweet tooth or a spicy food lover?
I'm a spicy food lover!

3. Do you like Indian food?

4. Favorite Indian food (if you like it)!

Take care,
I love you!❤

-Love_Yourself_10_x ❣