The Good & the Bad

"and how's your mental health?" your doctor looked deeply at you through the screen.

"honestly, never been better." you smile, "daveed is a great help and everything is just working out."

"glad to hear, make sure you're keeping safe and call me if you have any symptoms." your doctor waved.

you closed your laptop and leaned back in the chair in the office.

there was a knock and you turned around, "coffee?" daveed held two clear cups, he had a tired smile on his face.

"please," you took one, after bringing it up to your nose to sniff you took a gulp. "that's hot."

daveed sat on another chair in that room and you both talked, it was something you adopted into your lives. the dogs would come in and you'd hang out in one little area just to catch up, soccer was always hyper while clyde would be by your side.

DAVEED'S POV

i should have let my coffee cool, how is she drinking it so fast?

"so," i break the silence, "what do you have for the interview?" have i been on her ass about the interview... yes... but it's all out of love, i want her to succeed.

"i have a semester, i'll be talking to them about the basics for a while, then i'll talk about different branches and finally i'll talk about finding jobs within the workforce." she sipped again.

"will that be enough?" i chuckled.

"i'm well aware it doesn't sound like it, but with the new set up and cutting semesters in half, it will work." she nodded, "the different branches will take the bulk of it, you try and get people to write for celebrity drama and then politics, it's tough." she smiled.

"what would the exam be?" i noticed her cup was finished and mine was half empty.

"they would need to write an opinion piece on a topic i've already come up with, i have ideas ready to go." she seemed ready, i'm pretty confident she's gonna rock it, we just need to wait for the call.

i have been talking the principle for a while, y/n doesn't know, but it's fine. i'm not pushing for her to be hired but i want to make sure he's laying down an even playing field. y/n doesn't meet much if the criteria so who knows if she's even qualified for this job, we just need the money and she needs the job.

july was close to ending, there was a few emails  going around to parents about switching and dropping courses. the time frame would be opening in about a week and i hope she's got the job by then.

"i think my phone is ringing." y/n says with a confused face, she walks out of the office as i take another sip.

it's quiet in there, she's normally a talker. i peek my head out to see her covering her mouth, almost in shock.

i get a call, "hello?" i ask.

"hello, this is robert, robert mayweather."

"boss!" i smile, robert is the printable.

"i want to call so i could talk to y/n, is she around?" his voice is very low, almost darth vader low.

"she's actually talking to someone, i don't know." i peek out to see her nodding along.

"well, let her know to call me back, give her my number. i want to make sure this friday at three in the afternoon is a good time for an interview." i could hear the smile in his tone.

my face lit up, "amazing, i'll let her know."

"see you soon." robert hung up.

"ya... i'll tell him." i heard coming from the kitchen.

i couldn't contain my smile anymore, this was perfect! i walk out and i scooped y/n into a bear hug.

"dav," she sounded stern.

"sunshine, i got news for you!" i beamed, she wasn't feeling it though. "you got an interview, friday and three in the afternoon. you gotta call robert back- what's wrong?" she was just standing there, staring at me blankly.

"we're busy on friday, from eleven in the morning to five at night." she tightened her jaw.

"no we're not, unless it an anniversary i can't remember." i try and lighten the mood but she's isn't budging.

"daveed, i just got off the phone with my mom."

is her mother sick? was she in the hospital? did she fall over? maybe something happier, maybe at her senior home she found a new lover and they're getting married. ya, that's a good story.

"daveed!" a hand waved in front of my face, "did you hear a word i said?" she angrily asked.

"s-sorry, i zoned out." i took her hand.

"i said," she took a deep breath, "i said 'we're going to funeral on friday'." she squeezed my hand, "we have to stand and accept flowers and condolences all day on friday. my mom found a place and people have been 'booking their times' to come in and see us. both of us." i took her other hand as she finished.

"then i'll call robert," i said softly, "and you'll meet him another time." i smiled as leaned in to place a kiss on her forehead.

i called robert, "robert, it's daveed and y/n." he was on speaker.

"oh hello!" he laughed, "y/n, how are you?"

there was a pause, "about that... can we move our interview from friday to maybe saturday?" you couldn't have just said 'i'm doing good, how about you?'.

"why?"

"i have a family issue on friday and im there all day." her voice was very monotoned.

"may i ask of everything is alright?"

"well, my father has recently passed due to covid and we finally have a place and time for a meet and greet kind of set up, you walk in and say a nice thing and then leave. daveed and i have been asked by my mom to be there from eleven to five." maybe she was over sharing a bit...

"where's the memorial?" robert asked.

"i have your phone number, i'll send it to you." i jutted in, i don't know the address but i would in less then five minuets.

"thanks, daveed. and y/n?"

"that's me." she smiled.

"i wish you a safe week, and i'm so sorry for your loss." he paused, "call me when you're ready to chat."

"thank you for the understanding." she said.

after i hung up we stood there for a while, she slowly fell into my arms and i hugged her for a while.

"i need to go funeral shopping."