twelve (edited)

harrystyles: Lou?

louist91: hey, what's up?

harrystyles: can I call you?
harrystyles: I just really need to talk to someone

louist91: of course

Louis' POV:

Louis stared at his phone, waiting for Harry's call to come through. When it finally did, he answered it with shaking hands. He'd never actually held a verbal conversation without Harry before. Would it be awkward, or feel natural maybe? All of his questions were pushed to the side as Harry's trembling voice played through the speaker.

"Lou? Are you there?" It sounded like he'd been crying. His voice was gravelly and quiet, and Louis heard a sniffle on the other side of the line.

"I'm here, it's alright. What happened curly?" Louis tried to keep his voice steady, but on the inside he was worried. Did someone hurt him? Why was he upset?

"I, um... I'm sorry to bother you..." Harry trailed off.

"No, you aren't bothering me at all," Louis consoled. "What happened? Why are you crying?"

He hiccuped and softly said "It's nothing."

"Haz, whatever it was made you cry, it's not nothing." At this point Louis was clutching his phone tightly, because that was the closest he could get to Harry. All he wanted was to hold him and make it okay, but he couldn't even see his face...

"Say that again," he whispered.

"Say what? It's not nothing?" Louis asked confusedly.

"No, haz." Harry's voice shook, like he was about to start crying again.

"Haz," Louis repeated. "It'll be okay. Do you want to talk about it, or no?"

"I just want to hear your voice," Harry said quietly. "I'll talk later."

"Okay, what do you want me to say?" Louis looked fondly at the little icon on his screen, an adorable picture of Harry. He was sprawled out on a bed, with an enormous grin on his face. If anyone ever asked Louis to define happiness, he would show them that picture. Louis wished he could make him smile like that, at least for a little bit. Anything to keep him from crying again. A person like him didn't deserve to be sad.

"Do you sing?" Harry asked. The question caught Louis off guard. "A little bit, why?"

"Will you sing for me?" he asked shyly.

For anyone else, Louis would've said no, promptly slapped them in the back of the head, and insulted their mum, but he had a soft spot for Harry. "Sure love, what do you want me to sing?"

"Anything." Louis knew exactly what he wanted to sing. It was a song that reminded him of Harry, and because of that, was his favorite song. Louis cleared my throat and began to sing.

"So we're taking the long way home
'Cause I don't wanna be wasting my time alone
I wanna get lost and drive forever with you
Talkin' 'bout nothing, yeah, whatever, baby
So we're taking the long way home tonight,"

His voice cracked, and he stopped, embarrassed.

"Keep going Lou, you sound beautiful," Harry encouraged.

He started singing again, and after a minute or two Louis finished the song.

"That was amazing Lou... I didn't know you could sing!" Harry's voice sounded happy, and that was better than any compliment anyone could ever give Louis. At least for a moment, he wasn't crying. Louis had a feeling that he didn't want to explain why he was crying just yet, and he didn't want to push him. He would ask him tomorrow, when he had gotten some sleep, Louis decided. He didn't want to bring it up again while Harry was so happy.

He heard Harry let out a big yawn, and Louis smiled a little. "Are you tired Haz?" He asked, laughing softly.

"Nope, not at all," Harry lied. His sentence was interrupted with another huge yawn, making him giggle. "Okay fine, maybe a little bit."

"Go to bed Haz, I'll still be here when you wake up," Louis said, laying down on his bed. It was getting quite late, and he had class in the morning, but for Harry he'd stay up all night. Fuck, he was whipped, and he didn't even know if Harry felt the same way as he did. Louis pushed those thoughts aside and focused his attention back on Harry.

"Okay, I'll talk to you in the morning?" Harry confirmed.

Louis smiled. "Yeah, definitely."

"Okay then, goodnight Lou."

"Goodnight Haz."