Chapter 55: Brazilian Encounter

Start from the beginning

The stranger put his hand on top of mine. I shivered from fright, but I told myself I was okay and nothing would happen. "I'm sorry if I scared you. I'm truly sorry. You don't have to worry. I'm not gonna hurt you in any way. You're in safe hands. Calm down," he assured me in a soothing voice.

I took deep breaths until I felt much better. I relaxed a bit and turned my attention back to the screen. I felt uncomfortable with a stranger's hand on top of mine so I slipped my hand out of his touch. I heard him sigh.

"You're really not comfortable with strangers, are you?" he asked me.

"Yeah. I mean, who's completely comfortable with a total stranger in a dark movie theatre."

"I am. The stranger is beautiful and she seems very nice. It's a pleasure. Kevin," he said, stretching out his hand. I looked at him then his hand. The light from the screen permitted me to see him. He seemed like a decent guy, but he was still a stranger whose face I couldn't clearly see so I had to be alert.

"London," I replied, placing my hand in his. We shook hands briefly and let go of each other.

"Nice name. You're very beautiful by the way. I'm lucky to be watching a movie with such a gorgeous lady. Can I call this a date?" he asked me and I could sense a bit of humour in his voice. I laughed, feeling myself relax a bit.

"I'm happily married," I replied.

"I thought so. He must be very rich. That's a real diamond on your finger," he said, chuckling. I looked at my ring and smiled. It was one of my most valued possessions.

"So why would you suggest the idea of a date?" I asked him.

"I just wanted you to feel a bit relaxed and to lighten up the mood. I guess it worked," he replied, turning his face back to the screen. I looked at him, trying to figure out what was on his mind.

"Trouble in paradise?" I asked him.

"Well, the paradise no longer exists. Women are cold and heartless, you know."

"So I see it's a woman who's got you all depressed. This is an amazing twist because it's mostly the other way round."

"Yeah. I'm just the unlucky guy. I feel like my heart has been crushed and there's no hope of picking up all the pieces again," he said, laughing at his own situation. It must have been a really hard break up. I remained quiet, giving him time to sort out his emotions. The last thing I wanted was to appear like a nosey woman and end up getting tangled in some mess.

"Have you ever loved someone who does love you back, but loves someone else as well?"

"A love triangle?"

"Yeah. One where you're the second option just because you can't buy a new Lamborghini every week or go on a vacation to an expensive island in a private jet you own."

"Well, not everyone is that rich."

"In my case, the other guy is one of those lucky guys. I'm not poor, but his bank account has digits way bigger than mine." My situation had nothing to do with money. Had money been involved, I'd have emerged as the winner the day we got married.

"At least she loved you."

"Yeah. She did, but she made her choice and forgot our eight months together. What breaks my heart is that she's going to a married man who's head over heels in love with his wife, but she won't accept it. She thinks he's going to end his marriage for her and that he loves her, but that's a lie."

"Maybe he really does love her. Man these days are unpredictable. They can end their marriages in the blink of an eye."

"Would your husband do that to you?" he asked me, putting his hand on top of mine again. I swallowed hard. Well, my husband was very much capable of it because I wasn't the only woman in his life, but I didn't have to go around dishing out such private information.