"You know, Erin's going to teach me self-defence," Jane casually started slurping up more of her thick shake.  

Elle giggled, "Why do I have a feeling that's going to come in handy?" 

Jane rolled her eyes, "Don't be annoying. You should probably learn too. At least that way Mike won't be as worried about you and give your room to breathe." 

Jane was surprised by Anouchka's laugh followed by her confession, "That's the reason why I begged Luke to teach me. He wouldn't leave me alone..." 

Anouchka's laughter trailed off and her eyes seemed to be clouded over with memories. Jane and Elle sat there silent hoping that Anouchka would elaborate. Her eyes found Jane's and she gave a sad smile, "We used to spend a lot of time together Luke and I. He'd told me within the first week that I'd met him about the curse and how according to the curse I would suffer one of two fates. The first being that I would die within a year of us meeting, the second that he would lose almost everything that made him human." 

Jane thought back to Luke's cold, predatory behaviour and how close he was more than halfway shifted as she and Elle had taken Anouchka to safety. It was obvious that Luke had lost his humanity, she'd heard of it happening to wolves but only rarely. A unique side effect of living without your mate. 

"His wolf is in control?" Jane whispered and Anouchka nodded with her head hung low, whilst Elle just sat quietly absorbing all the information she could. Although Mike wasn't directly effected by the curse, there were still a lot of people Elle cared about involved in the curse. 

"I told him that I'd rather die," Anouchka admitted drying her eyes, "But he insisted it was the better option. You see, the curse only works when there are twins involved. Two brothers alike in blood and power, both of them virtually indestructible. Their only weakness their mates. One mate will rule as Luna the other will die." 

This whole curse situation just keeps getting better and better. 

"Has anyone ever been able to overcome it?" Elle asked, worry clear in her voice which was confirmed when Anouchka shook her head, "No. The curse has been occurring for over hundreds of years and not one person has ever been able to overcome it. I've spent a lot of time reading about the curse talking to Luke and Levi's uncles and grandfathers and great-grandfathers. Reading journals and ancient texts but there's all so much and none of it has a way to reverse the curse."  

"But what if Jane rejects Levi?" Elle questioned, "Severing the bond- that would work, right?" 

Jane glared at Elle but was shocked by Anouchka's words, "No one knows. No one has ever tried it before. Levi is pretty sure it'll work." 

"Of course he is..." Jane muttered under her breath and she didn't miss the way Elle tightened her hands around her drink.  

"He could be right," Anouchka announced, "There's no evidence to suggest it won't and it this point anything option seems better then death." 

Jane couldn't help but laugh. If only Anouchka knew there really were things worse than this curse and death itself, things that directly related to her.  

Anouchka frowned, "You may think this is funny now, but just wait till your year is up. I remember when mine was... one moment Luke was completely normal and the next he was, gone. His body was there but his soul wasn't. What is the point in evening having a soulmate if you don't even have a soul?" 

What's the point in being saved if Jane would just end up like her?  

If Jane would end up just like Clare.