Every Good Thing

My head was on Hailey's chest and with every time her breath gently rise and fell and started to fall closer into a peaceful sleep. We had just had a huge adventure of our own and we were sleepy so we rested all curled up next to each other. 

Hailey was licking the furs on my head that I'd always been insecure about, yet she made me feel proud of it. It was another thing that had always set me apart from my sisters, although Hailey said it made me unique. Hailey made everything better. Everything had light when I was around her. 

And then... 

I could have sworn I heard laughing and it broke me out of my sleepiness. 

"What was that?" I asked, groggily.

I heard someone coming.

I said, panicky, "Hailey, I thought...I thought you said no one was here"

"I did and there never was, I don't know what's going on" she said, sounding uncharacteristically frightful, "Just stay back, Dani"

"No, I don't want you to get hurt!"

"I'm a street pup, remember? It's okay, just stay back"

A gray and blonde blur tumbled through the overbrush and Hailey started attacking and they started attacking back. And then it hit me...oh my goodness...that's Scamp and Angel.

"Wait! Hailey, those aren't predators, those are my siblings!" I yelped, trying to stop her.

Technically Angel is not my sister but I wasn't really thinking about family biology in that moment.

Scamp had Hailey pinned down once Hailey stopped after what I told her.

"Let her go, Scamp! That's my girlfriend!" I howled

"You're girlfriend? She's a junkyard dog! Do you know what their motives are? Trust me, I was one" scolded Angel

Scamp grabbed the scruff of my neck, "Come on sis, let's go"

"No, wait! Hailey!!" I yelped

Hailey looked on, helplessly. She didn't want to fight them. I told her they were my siblings.

"It's okay, Dani" she said, softly, "We'll see each other again"

Every good thing that happens to me is always taken away. And now of course the thing that brought me the most joy was gone.