He eyed Eret and Velvet for a second before he sighed.

"Thought this was supposed to be a secret mission?" he questioned, despite being secretly glad that they were here.

Eret smiled, "Well, Corpse told me you'd be leaving for a while. Guess he knew we were friends." they murmured, and Corpse rolled his eyes.

Techno's eyes moved over to Velvet, and the boy smiled, red ears flicking up and his tail twitching behind him.

"I was the first to welcome you here...thought I'd send you off as well." he grinned, and Techno smiled slightly, lip softly curving up to the side.

"And how did you know you needed to send me off?" Techno asked, and Velvet said nothing, instead just smiling at him.

Techno huffed, and continued "What about the others? What excuse are you going to give them when I just up and disappear?"

Puffy cleared her throat, "You don't need to worry about that. We'll deal with it when you're gone."

Techno nodded and went to take a seat, but Puffy held up a hand, and he stopped, raising an eyebrow. He grabbed his trunk and held it close to his side.

"There's been a small change in plans. You're going to leave now, rather than at night."

"But it's easier to get away if it's dark." Techno countered, slightly confused.

"Yes, but you're going to look suspicious if you show up for your job in the middle of the night."

"So you've already gotten me a place in the guards? How'd you manage that?"

"Don't ask questions, kid." Puffy said, and Techno huffed.

Corpse stepped forward, "Here's your backstory. You're an orphan," Techno scoffed, but Corpse ignored him, "and you're trying to make your way in the world. You have experience because you used to take lessons from an old retired guard." Techno raised an eyebrow, that part of the story was pretty true, Corpse must have been listening when he'd told him about the retired guard in his old village afterall.

He sighed after a moment, and nodded.

Eret threw him an apple, and Techno caught it with one hand, inspecting it.

"For the road." Eret murmured, and Techno nodded in appreciation.

They all stood still for a moment, before Puffy stepped forward and gave him a map.

He tucked it into his pocket as Puffy started walking deeper into the forest, going to one of the entrypoints that were hidden by the tree's magic.

They all crowded around as it opened, bits of magic sparkling and flying off the opening, and Techno stared at the swirling light.

He turned around, looked at the others, and then stepped through.

He could feel a sense of magic loss as he was no longer surrounded by the barrier from the tree, and he frowned slightly at the feeling.

He turned around, looking at the others as they stood on the other side, and Puffy smiled.

"When you get closer to the forest edge, don't forget to transform." she instructed, and Techno nodded.

Corpse smiled slightly, "Good luck."

The opening started to close slowly, and Puffy tilted her head to the side.

"You've got this, kid." she said, and Techno would have smiled at that if it weren't for his advanced ears picking up Eret's murmur of "God save your soul", before the opening closed entirely and Techno was left in the forest by himself, birds chirping eerily.

Techno blinked in surprise, unease swirling through him at Eret's words, and he gulped, biting the inside of the cheek.

Human world, here he comes.

x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x

Hello friends!! Sorry chapter is a few days after last, I've had lots of assessments to get through!! I'm writing this at lunch at school and then i'm going to go do my presentation/group speech about Macbeth for English, so wish me luck!

Also, a note, from now on I'm going by Casper!

It would be very nice if you could call me that instead of Bee!

Happy reading!!

-Casper (previously Bee) <3

(24/3/21)

Co-posted on ao3