15 - The Envelope

Start from the beginning

Jace. Did he know? How could he? He was away. It was her fault for bragging about knowing Bea.

She studied the pictures. The editing was undetectable. There was another image in a lower resolution of Jace touching her. He buried his face in her neck. It could have been any man, but the pictures made it look like Aidan.

Alan had set them up. While he left the room, he took a video of them. He probably didn't even need to use the bathroom.

She stomped around in anger, debating what to do. She could sell everything she owned and never have enough. If she went to Sage or Bea, Rosa would be fired. He wanted the money in a week.

By the time she arrived at Bea's to help with baby Daniel, she was jittery. How could she look Sage in the eye? She hadn't touched her husband but felt guilty all the same.

She stared at the baby while Sage gave her instructions. She asked her to sit downstairs, so she would be close by.

"I'll come to feed him."

Sofia nodded as her husband appeared. "Aidan, do you know Sofia?"

He said, "Rosa's sister, right? Thanks for helping. Princess, he'll be fine. We're needed for photographs."

Sofia almost gasped. If she didn't calm down, the baby would sense her uneasiness and fuss.

She held him and paced, trying to spend her nervous energy. She sang in Spanish like her mamá had sung to her and they had sung to Lina. Feeling the weight on her shoulder, she sat down with the sleeping baby.

She sent a text to Jace.

S: Happy New Year.

J: You too. Have fun!

As much as she wanted to tell him, she didn't think he could do anything from Indiana.

Deep in thought, she jumped when she heard her name

"You look trista."

She tried to smile for triste Monty, but it was forced.

"I'll be quick, then you'll tell me what's wrong."

She wondered if she could ask him. He was rich, but it wasn't his problem. She didn't even know if she could trust him. Rosa would say no, but Rosa would never get herself in a serious mess like Sofia had.

Before he returned, Sage appeared. The baby had woken but hadn't started crying.

Sofia stood. "I'll be back."

She bumped into Monty as he walked back inside. The collision of their bodies jarred her tears.

"What's wrong? Lucky you. I'm your new friend."

He pulled her back outside. He looked at her, waiting for her to say something. She remembered their conversation in the garden. Could she trust him?

"What happened to your cook?"

His eyes looked hollow. He loved the woman who prepared his meals.

"Cancer. I had taken a year to travel and when I returned someone else was cooking in her kitchen. I went to the apartment where she lived. She had no family, so I made sure she wasn't alone." He proved she could trust him. "Did someone die?"

"No, but I'm in trouble."

He smirked like he didn't believe her. She looked around, turning her body to see. No one was around, so she whispered in the frosty night air.

"I'm being blackmailed."

She turned and ran in the house. She had spoken the words but was certain he would not want to become involved.

Taking deep breaths, she ducked into the bathroom just off the kitchen and splashed cold water on her face. Quickly she returned to Sage, who was thankfully still nursing.

The new mother looked up. "He's such a male. He could stay here for hours."

Sofia smiled and nodded. She didn't want to think about anything intimate, especially when out of nowhere a voice said, "I heard that, Mommy Princess. We happen to know what we like."

Sofia knew it was Aidan. She couldn't look at his face without remembering the pictures. She shivered, crossed her arms, and hugged herself. Stay calm.

"Could you take over burping? I should be back in there. Aidan's mother, Maggie, is planning to come steal him. She'll bring him back, eventually. Her other grandchildren are home with their other grandmother."

Aidan put his hand on his wife's back. "Scarlett's a little older and this is your mother's house. We're not Brenna and Noah."

"I know." She sounded unsure, but turned back. "Thanks Sofia. You're amazing."

Sofia smiled, but couldn't look her in the eye. They would be a beautiful couple to admire if she weren't so worried and humiliated. She didn't even look at Sage's dress. Her life was over. She could see her family disowning her. She would never forgive herself for being so stupid. What had she done wrong? Name dropped. Who knew Alan was a skanky criminal? He probably did photograph porn. Her mind raced through scenarios. Was Jace involved? Did he know? She wanted to say no, but she didn't know who to trust.

"You look like the fate of the world hangs in the balance."

She shook her head. "Not the world."

Triste Monty sat down opposite her. His glance went to the baby and his face softened slightly. "I don't need to watch the dancing. Too many couples. I'll sit here all night if I must."

"Why?"

"I need you to tell me what's going on."

"There's nothing you can do."

He shrugged. "I doubt that's true."

She looked down at Daniel. He was so pure and innocent. The world wasn't. Something about Triste made her want to trust him. She needed courage, but before she summoned it, an older woman appeared.

"There he is. The beautiful boy!"

His grandmother. Sofia handed the baby to the woman who kissed him. Then she handed her a clean cloth for her shoulder. "Watch your dress."

"That's what dry cleaners are for." She walked away, talking in a low voice to her grandson.

Apprehensively Sofia looked up at his caramel eyes. Did he care?