Chapter 22

"Do I really have to wear this?"

"Yep!" Shuichi groaned, allowing Kokichi to pluck and pull at the suit until it was smoothed out. They were standing in their bedroom, in front of the long mirror, Kokichi on his tiptoes behind him, his arms draped over him adjusting the suit, sporting a devious smile.

When he had said he wanted to get fancy for their date, Shuichi's mind had instantly thought of just normal formal wear, nothing like what Kokichi had forced him into. He had promised to stream with Kokichi in the morning and ended up lazing around impatiently afterward, his stomach spinning with butterflies, waiting for the time they would need to start getting ready. But when Kokichi pulled the suits out of the closet he hadn't been sure he wanted to get ready anymore.

The suits were absolutely over the top. Kokichi had laid his on the bed and he was only able to stare in horror before Kokichi left the room with his own to let him change. His suit was blue, with gold lines branching off like trees at the front, spiraling around near the shoulder. It had a waistcoat of the same color and pattern, of which he had to put over a ruffly, white, high collared blouse. The suit part was long, cutting off at his mid-thigh and the pants were a slightly darker shade of blue. It looked more like something you would see out of a fairy tale or a costume than actual formal wear.

"Where did you even find these, do they sell this stuff at the mall?" Kokichi moved in front of him to pin his waistcoat tighter.

"The costume store," he shrugged, a safety pin between his teeth.

"So they aren't even real suits, they're costumes."

"Call them what you want, but I look good." He guesses he was right about that, Shuichi couldn't sit here and say that he thought he looked terrible in the outfit, and he definitely couldn't say that about Kokichi. Kokichi's suit was pretty much the same as his, same style and cut, except his, was a dark purple with black lining, his waistcoat was black velvet with silver designs and his white blouse had the slightest bit of sparkle to it. Shuichi's heart had almost jumped out of his chest when he re-entered the room. The only problem with the suits was that they were definitely not the type of thing you would wear to where they were going. But really Shuichi wasn't sure where you would wear these types of suits anyway. Maybe a masquerade ball?

"You haven't even seen the best part Shumai!" Kokichi patted his chest satisfied with his adjustments, hopping away towards the closet.

"Oh no, there's more?"

Kokichi pulled out something covered in wrapping from the bag, flipping it open, and presenting it to him. "Ta-Da!" Two masks and two pairs of gloves. The masks were exactly like his previous thought of where you could wear these suits too, they were masquerade masks. One a deep royal blue with an almost beak-like bridge where his nose would go, a blue gem in the middle of the forehead, decorated with white and gold designs. The other mask was of course purple, with black designs, but it went higher up on the cheekbones, more round than the blue one, a little triangle pointing up at the top. The gloves were just normal plain satin gloves, a black and a white pair.

"A mask?" he questioned, stepping closer to feel the texture of the blue mask, running his fingers over it.

"And gloves."

"Why?"

Kokichi shifted to his other foot. "Well for one the masks match, and I also thought they would be useful. You know so no one recognizes us from Danganronpa and we can just be left alone all night." Kokichi's cheeks turned a faint pink.

That was- actually really smart. Shuichi smiled at Kokichi, picking up the blue mask. His whole chest felt warm, that was really sweet of him. He wanted to go on a date with him and have no people interrupt it. Shuichi had been getting used to people coming up to him when he went out, there was rarely a time when they didn't get recognized, so thinking about a night where they could just be normal, and not have people bothering them with questions and photos, sounded great.