Chapter 14

The early Sunday morning light cascaded through the open blinds, the natural light filling the apartment. Shuichi shuffled around in his pajamas, brewing a steaming hot cup of herbal tea and curling up on the couch. He took a sip of the drink, closing his eyes, enjoying the way the sunshine warmed him outside and the tea warmed him inside. He loves quiet mornings like this.

Shuichi rested his new novel on the arm of the couch, using his other hand to pet a contently purring Mischief. Over the week he had finished his previous novel and decided to take a trip to the nearest library to check more out, since he had already gone through the shelf in the apartment. He enjoys reading, it helps take his mind off things. And if there were any mornings where he needed to relax and distract himself, then that would be today.

He had been on edge all week waiting for Kokichi to say something, anything, but he hadn't brought up what happened at all. Kokichi had finally acknowledged his feelings Tuesday night, but that was it. Afterward, they had put Miki to bed and said goodnight. Then they waited around for Gonta and his wife to come home, before leaving in silence.

Shuichi feels like it's probably a sign that Kokichi doesn't reciprocate his feelings, and he needs to just move on. He wishes that Kokichi would just tell him he doesn't feel the same, instead of stringing him along to find out for himself. He shouldn't have let his hopes up in the first place.

Around Noon he switches over from his novel to a driver's education guide his mom gave him when she stopped by this week. He wasn't sure how to go about getting a driver's license, but studying is probably the first part.

Kokichi woke up at that time as well, sliding out of the bedroom, eyes still shut, and directly into the shower. He looked tired even though he slept longer. Shuichi bit his lip, the words on the page becoming fuzzy as he starts to worry. He's tried to not be nervous about tonight, but when he knows there's a possibility for a negative reaction and Kokichi is also dreading it, how could he not be.

Shuichi followed Kokichi with his eyes as he left the bathroom, a towel draped over his head. He grabbed something from the kitchen, holding it tight to his chest as he walked into the living room and sat at his desk.

"Are you eating ice cream for breakfast?" Shuichi questioned, realizing what he had in his arms.

Kokichi looked up like he had been caught, the lid of the ice cream halfway off and a spoon hanging from his mouth. "Yes is that a problem?" he lisped.

"I guess not, just an odd choice," Shuichi laughed. Kokichi's hair was still wet. He's not sure what purpose the towel on his head held, because he was still dripping water everywhere. "Did you have a bad dream?"

"No, why?" Kokichi raised the spoon to his mouth a took a bite of ice cream.

"You just look tired," Shuichi shrugged.

"I am. Just didn't sleep well."

Shuichi wanted to say something about tonight to him, but it wouldn't help any. All he could do today was to try and prepare himself for the worse outcome.

***

Kokichi closed the door to the cab and as it sped off Shuichi motioned him to start walking.

"Are you alright?" Shuichi asked, as they neared the front door.

Kokichi chuckled, his eyes turning a bit more sincere when he saw the nervous expression on Shuichi's face. "Let's just see how this goes."

The party was in full swing, this time with more people participating in whatever game was being played this time.

"Ah! You guys are finally here," Angie bounded over to them.

"Uh, yeah. Sorry we're late," Shuichi could say that they were busy, but that wouldn't be the truth. They had just lost track of time, caught up in playing a video game Kokichi got him into.