Chapter 9

The large wooden front door closed behind Kaito and Maki with a soft click, Shuichi's heart momentarily froze, his breath hitched in his chest. Angie broke away from whatever game the rest of them were playing to greet them amicably. Kaito's arm slung over Maki's thin shoulders, as he slouched over talking to Angie. Maki pushed at his arm weakly in protest, but Shuichi knows if she really wanted Kaito to stop, Kaito would have been on the ground seconds flat.

Shuichi is a nervous wreck. How is he even supposed to approach this? Does he wait for Kaito and Maki to notice him, or should he just go over there and ask to speak to them?

"Jeez, it's not like I'm a stick or something. Shuichi's literally a bean pole, I think if I blew on him hard enough he'd blow away." Shuichi was too distracted to register Kokichi's comment, only hearing Miu laugh and their conversation carry on without him.

There were three possible ways this could go. He could try to explain it to them and fail, making Kokichi mad. He could explain it to them, thoroughly, but they would get mad. Or he could explain it to them and they understand, letting all this come to a stress-free end.

Shuichi takes a shaky deep breath, he could feel Kokichi's glare through his skull, telling him to just get it over with. Right, he can do this. He's being ridiculous, there's nothing to be scared of. He's been in a death game, he's pretty sure there won't be anything scarier than that for the rest of his life.

His legs felt heavier than lead as walked over to where they stood, trying to walk confidently, but failing.

"Ah, Shuichi!" Kaito brightened bringing his hand (that was not currently occupied with Maki) down slapping Shuichi hard across his back.

Shuichi jumped, startled briefly from thought. "Hi," he scratched at the back of his neck nervously. Maki returned his greeting with a small smile and a wave.

Come on Shuichi you can do this. "I- um-" Wow that was a great start, Shuichi mentally berated himself. His voice drifting off into a heavy silence.

"Is something up man?"

"You look kind of pale." Maki's voice was low and sturdy, you could never really tell what emotion she was feeling. That was both a positive and a negative, if she got really mad at least she wouldn't blow up and start yelling, but he might not be able to tell how she's feeling.

"Yeah, I'm fine! It's just- can I talk to you guys alone for a minute? I have to tell you something."

"Of course, you got me worried there Shuichi. Hope it's not anything bad."

Shuichi's eyes widened, darting shiftily to the side. "Uh... don't worry- heh- it's not bad, per se," Shuichi gritted between his teeth, laughing awkwardly. What he said could be considered a lie, depending on how Kaito takes the news.

"We can go into the dining room, it's through the door in the kitchen. It looks like no one is in there," Maki suggests. Shuichi takes a look around reaffirming what she said, and motions for them to follow him through the kitchen and into the large dining area.

The Dining room wasn't as large as the living room, it was dimly lit by a crystal chandelier, a long glass table placed underneath it. The room was eerily quiet now that the door closed, the laughter and excited cheers from the others swiftly cut off. Shuichi missed the background noise of the others because now he's faced with two concerned friends and complete silence.

"So, what is it?" Maki asks, taking a seat on the table, her legs propped up on a seat.

"We haven't heard from you much bro, we got to catch up a bit last week, but that's all." Shuichi felt a surge of guilt, he'd been doing so many things wrong. He wants to hang out with Kaito and Maki, but he hasn't texted or called them in fear they would want to come over.