Chapter 2

"Kokichi? What are you doing at my house?"

"I could ask you the same thing." Kokichi shifted his weight to the other foot, a flash of gold flickered from his hand and Shuichi noted the key clutched in his fist.

Shuichi stayed silent eyes roving over Kokichi's form, a part of him couldn't believe Kokichi was actually alive, but here he stood in all his glory. Yet, he looked different from the killing game, less menacing, and more tired.

Kokichi's nose crinkled and a small smirk played at his lips. "Why did you throw a loaf of bread at me, what's that going to do for self-defense?"

"Well I-" Shuichi's face paled. To be honest he wasn't sure why himself, it had just been the first thing he grabbed in the heat of the moment. "That's beside the point. Kokichi, what are you doing here?" Shuichi asked, hesitantly, though he feared he already knew the answer, seeing as the key in Kokichi's hand had opened his door.

Kokichi stretched his hand out, gold key pinched between his fingers, wiggling it back and forth. "This was the address written down on my file, and this little key opened the door, did it not?" he exhaled and looked up at Shuichi, gaze light and questioning like he was waiting for Shuichi to realize something.

"So, before we lost our memories we used to-"

"Live together? It would appear so." Kokichi cut in.

Silence fell over them, the only thing filling the air was the sound of cars outside and Shuichi's shoe cuffing the ground as he fidgeted nervously, looking for something to say. His brain felt fried, could he really have lived with someone like Kokichi? Could he really live with him again? Then again, could he really live alone? The thought terrified Shuichi to the bone, he wasn't sure why but, he definitely didn't want to be alone.

"I can find another place to stay if you don't want me here, but can I at least stay here until I find another place?" His eyebrows furrowed, hurt written on his face.

"No- I mean yes- I mean-" Shuichi broke off heart beating hard in his chest. Kokichi watched him amused as Shuichi took a deep breath to try and regain his words. "This is your house as much as mine, I guess. It would be unfair to make you leave. Besides, it might not be too bad to have someone here with me." Shuichi played with his hands anxiously and looked up. Kokichi's stare was hard and Shuichi felt like he was being looked through. "I mean unless you don't want to stay here."

Kokichi's eyes glinted over in playfulness, smile widening. "I'll stay here since you asked so kindly, but we'll have to work on your self-defense, the bread attack failed." He lifted up onto his tiptoes then bounced back down, striding into the apartment and locking the door behind him.

Shuichi rolled his eyes, but heat filled his cheeks in embarrassment, grabbing the bread off the floor, and following Kokichi into the kitchen. Kokichi set down his stuff next to his, plugging his phone into the second cord. That was probably the reason there was a second one in the first place.

"I guess now the cookbook makes sense," Shuichi says under his breath.

Kokichi looks back over his shoulder at Shuichi, not quite catching his mumbled words. "What?"

"Oh nothing it's just-" Shuichi walks forward, reaching over Kokichi's head, into the cabinet, and grabbing the small purple book. "I found this cookbook and the handwriting didn't look like mine." He handed the book to Kokichi and he skimmed through the pages thoughtfully.

"Yeah, this looks like my handwriting, who would have known I was a secret chef." He giggled, looking up at Shuichi briefly before turning back to the book. "Good, maybe that means I can cook something, cause I'm starving."