Chapter 15

Shuichi felt warm inside, tonight had gone far better than he expected. He had been ready for everyone to tell off Kokichi, and not give him a chance to speak for his actions. But instead, everything had been smoothed over by Gonta's gentle words, that struck a chord in all of their hearts. Even though it hadn't been asked of them, they were all ready to forgive and move forward.

Shuichi spared a glance at Kaito from his seat on the couch, as the rest of them finished the episode. He didn't look upset, in fact, Shuichi would describe his expression as somewhat thoughtful. Kaito offered his hand to Kokichi, and Kokichi accepted. The thought of it alone makes him want to jump for joy, but the fact that it actually just happened is something he's still struggling to believe.

It felt impossible when they went to the aquarium together, Shuichi thought for sure that he'd never be able to spend time with both of them as long as they still had bad blood. Obviously, he knows they aren't buddy-buddy and they probably never will be, but at least now they are on good terms. That's enough for him.

Maki on the other hand tends to be more cautious and less forgiving. However, Shuichi thinks that she's more likely to forgive Kokichi, now that Kaito has. Maybe even more likely if he shares the way he feels about Kokichi. Which now, since the stress from watching the trial has receded, is at the forefront of his brain.

What happened earlier in the closet couldn't have been just a coincidence. Just earlier he had been trying to convince himself that Kokichi didn't have feelings for him and was ready to give up. Then Kokichi goes and kisses him, throwing his brain back into the storm of questions and theories. It could have just been a comfort thing. Kokichi had panicked and he was there to hold him. For Shuichi, everything had felt so right with Kokichi in his arms, it felt so right he was almost inclined to say it was strange. But, it could be different for Kokichi. To him it might not have meant anything, it was just an accident in the dark.

One thought though kept popping into his head, no matter how hard he tried to will it away. What if Kokichi did feel the same and he's just afraid to say something? Kaede always tells him to go with his gut, to trust himself more, and believe. Of course, he wants to do that, but in the end, it might just make him hopeful for something that will never happen. When you have as many anxious thoughts swimming around your head, like Shuichi does, going with your gut feels like bungee jumping on a floss cord and hoping it won't break.

Nobody was really paying attention anymore to the show, the sound of cheerful chatter around the room, drowned out the sound of crying from the tv. The after-dark shows were almost all crying anyway. The only parts Shuichi found interesting, were moments with Kokichi. He can't help but feel a little biased there. Kokichi was just so captivating to him, even in the game.

In the game, he tended to avoid Kokichi purely for sanity reasons, but when they did interact with each other the detective side of him grew more curious. Shuichi chuckled to himself and caught an odd look from Kokichi. A detective falling for a mysterious criminal leader. What hopeless romantic wrote that trope?

"You okay there Shuichi?" Kaito asked, knocking his knee against Shuichi's as he sat down.

"I was just about to ask you the same thing." Shuichi turned away from the TV, the episode finally ending and the volume in the room growing twice as loud.

Kaito scoffed scratching at his chin but didn't continuing talking like Shuichi had been expecting. They blinked at each other like a couple of idiots, unsure of what to say. Shuichi felt Kokichi stand up next to him and watched as he crossed over the room to talk with Kirumi.

"Can I-"

"We should-"

Shuichi internally berated himself as they talked over each other.