Chapter 46 - Southern Nights

Start from the beginning

I headed to security and then to my gate to wait to board. I had Business Class again, which made it a little more bearable. We had booked First Class for the flight home. I was beyond excited for this trip. I would be reuniting with Minmin in a few days, and I was going to see Nikki, the kids, SeoYeon, and Janie. I could not believe I had been gone a year.

This was my first trip home since I left everything I knew to be with the literal man of my dreams. I was looking forward to visiting my favorite shops and restaurants and seeing my Simon. That also brought a bit of sadness, but I knew I had made the right decision for him. He was happy with Tori and that is all I wanted.

I slept during the flight. I didn't realize how tired I was until I dozed off. I had not been sleeping well since he left, and it finally caught up to me. Since I did sleep most of the way, it felt like a much shorter flight. I missed the in-flight meal, so when I did wake up, I was hungry. The flight attendant brought me some cookies and a water. That would have to do until we landed. We were scheduled to arrive a little after 3pm local time, and then it would be close to an hour to drive back to Nikki's. Maybe I could talk her into an early dinner.

The last couple of hours of the flight drug along. I texted with Minmin for a while and then he had to get ready for soundcheck. So, I popped my earbuds in and watched fancams of their show from 2 nights ago. The fasten seatbelts sign finally came on. My heart leapt when I saw the familiar landmarks out the window. A few moments later we were taxiing on the runway. After we disembarked and I was walking through the airport I wasn't sure what to expect, but once again, no one bothered me. I was thankful for that.

I texted Min that I had made it safely, and then Nikki since she was picking me up. I made my way to baggage claim and waited what seemed like an eternity for my bag. Once I had it, I headed to the exit. I spotted Nikki right away and she started bouncing when she saw me. I walked as fast as I could while pulling my suitcase, and she ran to meet me. We hugged each other and had a total girl moment with squeals and giggles.

Even though we talked at least once a week on the phone or facetimed, it was so much better being together. The kids would be home from their after-school activities in a bit, so I would have a few minutes to freshen up before we went to eat. I wanted to go to my favorite Italian place. We had Italian food in Korea, but it was not the same as the little mom-and-pop place that I loved.

We got to Nikki's house and I wheeled my bag to my old room. It had been my refuge for several months while I got back on my feet after the divorce, and while Nikki mourned Robert. As awful of a time as it was for each of us, I am glad that we were able to be there for each other. Our bond strengthened dramatically during that time, and it was already incredibly strong before that. Simon greeted me at the door and rubbed against my legs. I picked him up and he rubbed his face against mine and purred. I almost started to cry from missing him and knowing he would not be accompanying me back home. I held him for as long as he would allow and then he followed me around after I put him down. I think he had missed me too. It had been a year since I had seen him, and I wasn't sure how he would react.

I splashed water on my face and fluffed up my hair. I put on fresh deodorant and a light spritz of body spray. I was a little jealous that Minhyuk did not need it. Most Koreans lack the gland that feeds body odor. I was super careful now to make sure I smelled good at all times.

I stepped out of the room just in time to be swallowed up in hugs by my babies. I swear they had both grown 6 inches since the wedding. They were huge now! They were both talking at the same time and I could not follow either of them. I started laughing and pulled them back in for more hugs.

We went for dinner and I listened to their stories of competitions won and belts earned. Bobby told me about the girl he likes and that he wanted to ask her to the dance next month but was scared. I gave him the encouragement and push that he needed to go for it. Tori told me about her ice-skating routine for the competition and how she was incorporating her Hapkido into it. It sounded amazing. She had been inspired by Wonho's and Shownu's sparring scene in Dramarama, and that is the song she used to choreograph her routine. I was really glad that I would be able to see it.