Aunt Shirley

I bound towards the gate, which is pretty far away since me and the Shroods were sat in the back. I feel a buzz in my pocket and hear the hum of my phone. I take it out of my pocket and look at the name. It's my aunt, Aunt Shirley! 

I've missed her over the past week and almost a half. She's my mom's sister and was going to be my godmother, the only thing that stopped that from happening was an addiction she has, or had, she goes on and off, to alcohol. She is still one of the nicest people I know, she'd never hurt a fly. Though the timing is bad, I answer the call. 

"Hi Aunt Shirley! I've missed you-" 

"Clementine are you on the plane?" Her voice is raspy and slurred. I'm surprised by not only the voice change but the tone too. I don't know why her voice is like that but I recognize the way her words slur into one, I can tell she's been drinking.

"No, Aunt Shirley, I'm about to get on. But why-" I start but once again, I'm interrupted.

"Clementine, don't get on the plane yet." Is it the sentence, the alcohol, or the urgency in  her voice that makes me stop? I don't know.

"What's going on? Why do you sound weird?"

My heart seems to start beating faster, I need to get on the plane. People are piling on it as I stand here, waiting for her to tell me why she sounds like that.

"Clementine, your- y- Deborah and your father got into an accident." She finally spills, "They aren't with us anymore."