Chapter 21

Weird Connections

I open my eyes the next morning, wishing that last night didn't really happen. Wishing my sister wasn't dead. Or I guess a vampire, but really, what was the difference?

Sitting up in my bed, I look across the room to where Bexley lays on the couch, and to the left where Jenna lays on the other side of the bed.

I pull my oversized black sweater over my head as I get up and walk out of my room, and down the steps, where I hear my mom hurrying to get ready for work.

"Oh- Megan" She says, rushing to grab her school books and teaching notes and shoves them into her bag that lays on the table. "I'm leaving you three home today and tomorrow to watch Jordan, I have worked it out with their parents." She says, then stops and looks at me. "But I request that she's able to be on her own again by then. I can't keep lying to the school on your behalf" She stops for a moment, just looking in my eyes. "I know we need to talk about everything, but right now-" She looks at the clock on the oven. "-I'm late" She says, zipping up her backpack, and grabbing her coffee and keys. "We'll talk later, ok?" She says, kissing my forehead before she hurries down the hall and out the front door.

I stand quietly until I hear her car start up out front and back out of the driveway. I sigh, wondering how awkward that conversation will be, as I turn around toward the fridge, seeing Daniel standing near the back door. Quickly, I cross the room and take her throat into my hand.

"Very quick" She looks at my mouth. "but I would've tried this" She removes my hand, takes it into her own and spins me around, pushing me against the wall. Her face gets very close to my own, we meet eyes and I try to calm the beat in my heart- when I hear someone from upstairs. I push Daniel away and she disappears as she falls back.

I look around the kitchen to find that I'm once again all alone.

"Weird" I shake my head and go to the fridge for the juice I'd gotten up for earlier.

Walking up the stairs, I go straight for the shower. Hot water is just what I need. I tip toe through my room and to my personal bathroom. Although, glancing at the two, I see Jenna has moved to the middle of the bed and Bexley is half off of the couch. I smile at how different yet safe they both were.

When I get out of the shower and begin to dress, I hear them moving around and waking up. But farther than that, I hear footsteps on my front porch.

I sigh, taking the door out of the bathroom that leads to the hall and not my room. Walking down the steps, from behind the door, I sense anxiety and anguish. I scrunch my eyebrows, opening the door to find Daniel on the other side, rubbing her hands together.

"Daniel?" I begin, and she quickly reaches her hands out in defense.

"I know you aren't happy with me, but I think that if anyone's going to teach Jordan how to deal with her hunger and blood lust, then it should be a vampire." She quickly explains. I slightly purse my lips, thinking about that.

"Yeah, one I trust" I come back with and she nods.

"That's fair" She says, stopping for a moment before she begins again. "But I'm the only vampire you know" She says, and I think about this. I knew of Alex, but I wasn't supposed to let on that I knew about him and this world, and I am also mad at him. I heave a heavy sigh.

"I guess, you have a point" I say slowly, and she seems like she's going to continue to argue then she stops.

"I do?" She says, looking into my eyes and I raise my eyebrows.

"Yeah" I nod slowly. "And you seem to care at least a little for Jordan"

"Like a best friend" She says and I scrunch my eyebrows.