Jaxon would sometimes wake up in the night to Hunter stumbling down the stairs to the basement. He'd give him an hour to try again then go down himself and find his son asleep in the basement again.

As he slowly set Hunter in bed again, he sighed. 

He was starting to regret separating Hunter from that demon. Surely this depression he was in wasn't because he was upset about being possessed. But it felt like that.

Hunter was getting worse and not better like they said he would.

Was it possible they had something more? Maybe an understanding?

Jaxon felt like he was going crazy.

The two had yet to talk about Jaxon finding him in the basement and he didn't know how to bring it up.

He didn't know what to do. He wasn't even sure if there was anything he could do.

Later in his office, Jaxon watched the countless videos of Zekaj and Hunter entering their home. Zekaj's demonic form faded out of his son as the two of them headed upstairs every time.

The camera had only been up for a while after a random stranger at the institute suggested getting one. He didn't remember how they got onto the topic just that he had decided to buy one and set it up.

He didn't tell anyone else about the camera as it sat perfectly hidden out of anyone's sight on a shelf in their living room, pointing right towards their front door.

He didn't check it for weeks until the day after Hunter's birthday after he wanted to see the fight that took place again. He was shocked to find out about the demon but decided to leave it alone.

The demon wasn't causing any harm, or so he believed. He realized the demon must have been around since early this year when it attacked the wolves. Jaxon assumed the demon was trying to protect Hunter.

But after Ben told him he could tell a demon was slowly taking over Hunter's soul they had to act fast. He felt foolish for letting Hunter keep the demon around for as long as he did. But now he wasn't so sure Ben was right.

Ben had seemed shocked at the sight of a demon. Shouldn't a so-called demonologist be desensitized to a demon?

***

Hunter was shook awake as he opened his eyes to Max that made him jump back.

"I've been trying to get you up for like 5 minutes," Max said.

Hunter just groaned in response and stared at the front of the classroom to the teacher sitting at their desk. The last part of class was a work period and Hunter had passed out 5 minutes into it.

Max had sat in the way of the teacher's view to let Hunter get some rest. He could tell the mage was tired. It was easy enough as his larger form easily hid the skinny human behind him.

"Have you not been sleeping?" Max asked.

"I feel like that's all I've been doing," Hunter whispered resting his head on the table.

"Your bond was strong right?"

"Mhm," Hunter mumbled.

"We might have some stuff at the pack that could help," Max said. "I'll get Aj to find some stuff,"

Hunter didn't respond and just closed his eyes.

"It'll be alright," Max patted Hunter's back. "You two will get through this."

Hunter wished he could believe him, but he couldn't.

Zekaj wasn't answering. Or maybe he couldn't reach him for some reason. Hunter wasn't sure. He had talked to Max about how he couldn't summon Zekaj after the wolf had asked him for updates. Max seemed genuinely worried about him.

The only way Hunter felt like he could get to Zekaj was to find a way to Hell. But he had no idea if it was possible. He didn't know where to even start looking let alone what he was even looking for.

Hunter didn't know what to do.

He felt,

Hopeless.

A/N:

This is a shorter chapter but I wanted to show more into Jaxon's mindset which I know some of you probably don't care about and rather he just dropped dead lol.

We learn in this chapter how Jaxon knew but it's still very shady how events came to.

Question's I meant to ask last time but didn't:

Could Zekaj be playing the long con?  We always come back to this but we never really know for certain >:)

Why isn't Zekaj answering?  Surely he'd be up by now?

BTW CH.42 is currently up early on patreon if you are interested.  Links can be found on my bio or on twitter @14MEK

Thanks for reading! <3

-MEK