𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟰𝟴 || To Be a Family

The evening at the Fowl Household was spent quite noisily.

Sirius, Emery, and the Lord and Lady of Fowl Manor were seated at the table, a large variety of food in front of them.

"So," began Artemis, turning to Emery. "You're in Ravenclaw, right?"

Emery nodded. "Yeah," she said. "But the sorting hat considered putting me in Gryffindor."

"Really?" interjected Sirius. "Then you'd have been with me."

Mrs. Fowl laughed. "I think it's fine the way it is. Sirius and James are enough pranksters for Gryffindor, as it is," she added.

Mr. Fowl grinned. "So I take it Emery has followed my footsteps?" he asked her with a gleam.

She giggled, nodding. "But Mama wishes I was more like Cecilia," she said.

There was a tense silence at the table at the mention of Cecilia.

"Oh, how's Cecilia?" Mr. Fowl asked casually.

"Erm," Emery began. "You see..."

He sighed. "Is she alright?"

"Arty," began Primrose, "Cecilia was adopted," she stated. 

"What?"

Sirius shifted uncomfortably, glancing at Emery who was just as tense as he was. 

"Arty, this isn't a conversation for the table," she said sternly, looking at Sirius and Emery out of the corner of her eye.

"It's alright, Mama," said Emery. "I'm done eating, anyways. You and Papa can catch up."

"Me too," said Sirius standing up abruptly. "Thank you, Mrs. Fowl, dinner was delicious."

Mrs. Fowl smiled tiredly. "Emery," she called. "Show Sirius his room."

Emery nodded. "Yes Mama."

Emery beckoned Sirius to follow, and walked with him to one of the towers. "I wish Papa didn't miss so much of my life," she murmured sadly.

Sirius rubbed her back. "Hey," he said, in a soft, dulcet tone, "at least he's back. Don't let other thoughts upset you," he comforted. 

She nodded. "You're right."

She reached a landing, then turned to the left, showing him a pair of double doors. Pushing them open, she entered the room, showing it to Sirius.

"This is your room," she informed him. "Is it alright?"

Sirius looked around. There were large crystal chandeliers hanging from the high ceiling, and the walls had intricate designs carved into them.

There was a massive king sized bed, with several fluffy duvets arranged precariously, along with a large number of pillows.

The walls were white, and the curtains were a light beige color.

"I love it," Sirius muttered. "It's too fancy."

Emery smiled. "All the rooms are like that." She pointed to the left. "Walking closet," then pointed to the right. "Bathroom."

Then she walked to the far end of the room. "You get a balcony too." She motioned to the balcony "The balcony is shared with my room," she added. 

"Oh, right."

She took him back outside. "Here's my room," she said, showing him the door. "But don't come inside," she said bluntly. "There's... stuff," she said in a low tone.

Truth be told, Emery had loads of stuffed animals and paintings on the walls, but she wasn't afraid of Sirius seeing them. She just wasn't comfortable with him seeing her personal space. It wasn't that she didn't trust him, she just wasn't fully comfortable in sharing her childhood with him.

Sirius nodded a goodnight, then entered his room, shutting the door behind him.

He flopped on the bed, instantly replaying the moment where Emery kissed the edge of his lips. He knew it wasn't a real kiss, she was just doing it to make him happy, but it still brought butterflies to his stomach whenever he thought of it.

Sirius remembered Lucas' words. He needed to take things slow. Emery was a person who easily got scared off. She was delicate, and fragile, and extremely oblivious.

Sirius grinned to himself again, thinking of everything he loved about Emery. Maybe the boys could help.

Damn, he was whipped, he thought.

It was late at night, and Emery was lying in bed, alone with her stuffed animals in her candlelit bedroom, when the door slowly opened. 

Emery sat up, and beamed when her father walked through. 

"Papa?" she whispered. "What are you doing up so late?"

He smiled mischievously. "I was with your mother. She fell asleep, so I came to see you," he replied, kissing her hair.

Emery moved, giving him space. "Lie next to me," she murmured. 

"Gladly so," replied Artemis. 

There was a comfortable silence between them. 

"I wish I had been there for you," Artemis sighed. 

Emery hugged his neck, facing him. "It wasn't your fault, Papa," she replied. "Personally, I think you did the right thing for France, and sacrifices are meant to be made."

He chuckled. "Speaking of which, the Greek Minister was very pleased with you," he hummed.

"Yeah, he offered me a job," she replied. "I told him I'll think about it."

Artemis kissed her forehead.

"You know," he said. "If there's one thing I'm proud of, it's the way you turned out to be, with or without me," he told her.

She smiled. 

"And now," he said, changing the subject. "Who is this boy, Sirius Black?"

Emery blushed. "Well, it all started when I lost my hat," she began. 

About half an hour later, Emery had told him all the events that occurred in his absence. 

Although he didn't voice his pinions out loud, Artemis knew Emery was in love with Sirius, even if she herself couldn't tell.

He didn't want her growing up so fast, so he said nothing.

But he made a promise to himself. 

He would not let any boy come near her, except if they win his approval. And Lord Fowl had very high standards. He had spent enough time without his little fox.

Gazing at her sleeping figure, he kissed her cheeks, blew the candle out, and closed his eyes, thinking of his daughter only.

She was his reason to live.

a/n: i'm disappointed with this chapter. not my best work.. filler.

thanks for reading.

ALSO THIS STORY IS ALMOST AT 2.5 K READS AND 500 VOTES

THANKS:)