𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟮𝟱|| To Live a Dream

When Cecilia and Emery reached the stairs to the Great Hall, Rabastan was already waiting for Cecilia. 

Dressed in robes of black, he kissed Cecilia's hand and escorted her to the Great Hall.

Emery climbed the last few steps, meeting Sirius' stormy grey eyes.

He was wearing a black tuxedo, his hair styled elegantly. He stood awestruck at Emery, his eyes disbelieving him as they stared at the girl in white.

She looked unrecognizable, and utterly breathtaking.

His eyes, not leaving hers even for a moment, sparkled as they met hers. He gave her a heartwarming smile as he bowed, and took her hand.

Her heart fluttered, and Emery gasped internally, her breathing rate increasing drastically. 

She placed her fingers in his, ignoring the sparks that shot past her arm, and smiled back. Sirius bowed, raising her knuckles to his lips as they brushed her skin.

"You look-" Sirius started. "I- er.. Wow," he gasped.

Emery gave him a side smile. "Thanks," she said, her voice breathy. "You look nice too."

"Who are you and what have you done with Emery Fowl?" Sirius demanded, his eyes twinkling with mirth. 

Emery chuckled. 

"Oh, Emery's right here," she teased, leaning in closer to his face. 

Sirius had a breath intake. Emery inched her face closer to his, looking deep into Sirius' eyes as they scrutinized every movement she made.

Emery raised a finger and tapped his nose gently. 

"Boop," she said softly. "See? I'm still there," she spoke innocently.

Sirius blushed at the contact and smiled to himself. 

"Let's go," murmured Sirius, snapping out of his daze and leading Emery into the Great Hall.

When Emery and Sirius entered the Great Hall, every head seemed to turn at their sight. Emery suddenly felt nervous.

"Sirius," she whispered loudly out the corner of her mouth, "Why are they all staring at us?"

"They're staring at you, love," Sirius whispered back. "You look beautiful."

Emery's heart gave another flutter at his words, and at that moment, she felt like she was floating on the highest cloud. 

"Thanks," whispered Emery. 

"Stay close to me," said Sirius. "Just relax." 

The orchestra began playing a slow tune, and the prefects led their partners to dance. Sirius bowed before Emery, taking her hand and leading her to the dance floor.

"Dance with me?" he whispered, and Emery felt lightheaded at his words. 

"Mhmm," she hummed, careful that if she spoke too loud, the spell would be broken, for at that moment, Emery felt as if everything was magical.

Sirius pressed his arm around her waist, and clasped her delicate fingers in his large palm. Emery draped her hand on Sirius' tense shoulder, placing her other hand in his.

And then he swung her around, and Emery was suddenly dreaming.

She was falling through time, frozen amongst the seconds as they ticked by. Everything around her was an oblivion, and Sirius was the bliss within it. She couldn't keep her eyes away from Sirius' stormy gray ones, and she never spoke, not even once, in fear that she would chase the magic away.

"So," said Sirius, breaking the silence, save for the music. "I just noticed that you cut your hair."

Emery nodded shyly. "It's a pain taking care of long hair," she said. "The last straw was when it wouldn't comply to my settings."

Sirius reached an arm and fondled a curl, his fingers grazing over Emery's cheek in the process. "It suits you," he murmured, "It looks different."

"Cecy said I can cut hers too," began Emery. 

"Wait. Really?" asked Sirius. "Are you sure we're talking about the same Cecilia?"

"Yep," said Emery. "I was shocked too. I guess she really does trust me with her hair for once."

Sirius snapped his head up suddenly. "Hey, Emery," he began. "Cecilia. Is she alright? You know, with her mother and stuff?"

Emery paled slightly. "Well, erm, not exactly. She has secrets, but it's not my place to tell you," Emery said unsurely. 

"Yeah," agreed Sirius. "I guess it's not. She looks happy," he said, glancing where Cecilia and Rabastan were dancing together. 

Emery caught Cecilia's eye, who waved. Emery smiled back, and turned to face Sirius once more. 

He spun Emery, lifting her up suddenly as the song came to a mournful end. 

"That was fun," sighed Emery. "I'm exhausted though."

"Let's have a drink, shall we?" Sirius asked, winking.

Emery nodded and trailed behind him enthusiastically as Sirius pulled her by the arm.

Sirius had left Emery with Cecilia as he went to have a drink with the Marauders when someone tapped Emery's shoulder.

He was tall, with dark hair and dark eyes that looked sharp.

"Who're you?" blurted Emery.

"Barty Crouch," he said. "Pleased to meet you," he continued, grabbing Emery's hand. "May I have this dance?"

"Erm," began Emery unsurely, "I..."

"She's dancing with me," said a voice, and Emery turned to face James Potter.

"I am?" she questioned.

"Yes, you are," said James, dragging her to the dance floor. 

"But..." Emery looked at Cecilia mournfully, stretching her arm to grab her. "Cecyyyyyyyyy," she moaned. "Save meeeee."

Emery's protests were drowned when the music suddenly turned wild.

The ball suddenly turned into a disco as students went mad, dancing without a care.

By the time Emery was done dancing, she was tired and very, very dizzy. Flopping down on one of the chairs, she was suddenly jerked out of her daydream as Sirius pulled her out of her seat. 

"Want to go outside?" he hummed in her ear.

Emery nearly jumped with excitement. 

Sirius led Emery to their tree by the lake. "I had fun," he muttered. "Thank you."

"No," said Emery. "Thank you. For being the most amazing, bestest, super cool, awesomest friend ever."

Sirius smiled, pulling her into a hug.

No sooner than he did so, butterflies began flying in Emery's stomach. She could feel the warmth from his arms as they stood in the cold winter outside. Noticing that Emery's shoulders were bare, Sirius pulled off his blazer, draping it across Emery's shoulders.

"I'm not cold," she protested.

"Shh," hummed Sirius. "You'll freeze."

They stared at the frozen lake before them, the crescent moon shimmering on the surface of the ice.

Suddenly, a cackle sounded from behind them.

"Well, well, well, look what we have here. Feisty Fowl, and Bloodtraitor Black," said a cold voice.

Emery and Sirius looked at each other, horror etched upon their faces, a single thought running through their minds.

Death eaters. At Hogwarts.