𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟰𝟱 || To Depart

The rest of the week passed rather uneventfully.

Emery had been working extra hard in all of her classes, since she knew that it was high time she should focus on her school work.

She didn't want to, but it had to be done if she didn't want to fall behind. 

Thus, she found herself mostly in the library researching, or in the common room, completing any unfinished work.

Sirius, on the other hand, couldn't think much.

Mainly because his thoughts were fully occupied by a certain blonde witch. He often became restless in the night, thinking of what she was doing, or what she was thinking of.

Every time he closed his eyes, he'd see that million galleon smile she flashed whenever she was happy or excited.

She was everywhere. He tried avoiding her, to give her some space, but it was of no use. Every time in class, he'd look for her, and on seeing her, he'd automatically smile.

She'd smile back, and make conversation with him, but he'd blurt out a silly excuse and leave her waiting. He felt extremely guilty for doing that to her, but whenever he was near her, he'd just feel like kissing her, and he couldn't put it past himself that he would quite possibly ruin their friendship.

So he distanced himself from her.

On the last Friday of January, Emery was in the Great Hall, finishing her charms essay that was due in a couple of days. The hall wasn't fully occupied, just a few students sat randomly here and there, either hanging out with their friends, or completing any pending work.

It was somewhere in the afternoon, when she first sat down, and had been working in silence ever since. Cecilia was in the Great Hall too, but she was sitting at the Slytherin table, near Rabastan Lestrange.

The two were whispering and giggling, and Emery found it almost impossible to focus and not look their way every five minutes.

After an hour or two, she put her quill down, and stretched her arms, until an owl landed right in front of her.

It was her owl, Bernard, a letter in his beak.

Emery took the letter in her hand, then gave Bernard a few owl treats she kept in her bag and watched him fly away.

Slowly, she flipped the letter, turning to open it.

What she didn't expect, was a golden wax crest on the other side, bearing a coat of arms.

It was the stamp of the Greek Ministry of Magic.

Emery's heart gave a funny jolt.

Stuffing the letter in her bag, she collected her things, leaving the Great Hall.

When she reached her dorm, she dropped of her school items, and changed into a warm sweater. Then, grabbing the letter from her bag, she headed to the Astronomy Tower, in order to read it in silence.

Once she reached the tower, that was when she opened it, her heart beating wildly, her sweaty hands trembling.

Waiting in anticipation, she took the parchment out and read it.

Dear Miss Fowl,

My name is Lucas Nikolaides, Minister of the Hellenic League of Magic, also known as the Greek Ministry of Magic.

It is with great respect that I write back to you, and I bow down deeply to your perseverance, determination and your intelligence.

Before I give you my response to your proposition, I would like to elaborate my point on the following subjects.

The previous Minister of Magic, passed away last month, and I was elected in his place. Thus, I have been given all the authority to handle Greece the way I want, provided the public are happy with it. It was he, who ordered your father to be captured.

Moreover, I would like to agree with you, that the Magical world of Greece has fallen behind. We are losing employees, and the economy is going down. Our future is not bright.

I will do anything in my power to stop Greece from going any lower, and I will start by taking your advice.

Now, I will give you my answer.

The Greek Admirals are adamant that I should sentence your father to execution, but I was waiting to make a decision. Thankfully, your letter came right in time.

It gave me hope.

I have read through all the old documents in the archive, related to the Quidditch scandal of 1944, and I realized that Greece was in the wrong.

Thus, I have decided to let your father go. He is a free man.

As for the documents of proof, keep them, do whatever you like with them. Greece cheated, and they have to face the consequences for what they did.

Enclosed are the documents of your father's release. You will need to take them to the Greek Embassy of Magic, any time before a month, otherwise they would not be legal.

Again, I wish to thank you for letting me see what was invisible to me. Greece will have a better future, all thanks to you. 

If you don't mind, please send me a letter the day before you take your father's documents to the Embassy, I would like to meet you there.

You have opened my eyes greatly, and I suddenly see Greece with a future, all thanks to you. Greece will forever be in your debt, Emery Fowl.

It is indeed strange how a single letter, written by a child, can affect the future of a whole country. You will do great things, I presume, there is no doubt.

I send my regards.

With all due respect,
Lucas Nikolaides, Minister of the Hellenic Ministry of Magic.

Emery suddenly found a smile on her face, and she couldn't stop the tears of happiness that suddenly bubbled within her and poured down her cheeks.

Her father was free.

Emery had written a letter to Lucas Nikolaides, informing him that she was stopping by the Greek Embassy.

She had already taken permission from Dumbledore, who had jovially agreed to let her leave.

The blonde was at the gates of Hogwarts, waiting for a carriage to take her to Hogsmeade. From there, she would take a portkey to the Embassy.

She had told no one of her departure, and hoped she would be back before nightfall.

Two minutes later, Emery heard loud footsteps heading her way. Turning rapidly to face the owner, she was suddenly met with a pair of very familiar grey eyes.

Sirius Black.