𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟮𝟮 || To Lose a Confidant

That was when Emery realized that Cecilia was going with Rabastan Lestrange to the ball. Without waiting for an explanation, Emery immediately advanced onto Cecy.

"You're going with him," demanded Emery.

Cecilia paled. "What do you mean?" she asked, blushing slightly.

"Don't even try to deny it. You were blushing. Besides, he called you Cecy. Nobody except Mama, Aunt Del and I call you Cecy," she insisted.

"Oh, alright," Cecilia gave in. "Fine. He asked me to the ball, and I said yes. Anything else?" asked Cecilia, obviously annoyed.

"Yes," said Emery. "When did he ask you?" 

"In the library," huffed Cecilia. "Now, are you done interrogating, Sherlock? Or do you still have more questions?"

Emery's lips parted. Never had she seen Cecilia behave in such a way. Cecilia was usually patient when dealing with Emery's questions.

"Sherlock?" asked Emery. "Who's Sherlock?"

Cecilia sighed. "A detective from a muggle book," she said promptly, before turning around to the exit of the Great Hall.

"Oh," said Emery meekly. "Where are you going? Aren't you joining me for lunch?"

Cecilia shook her head. "I'm not hungry," she said.

Then, she walked out, leaving Emery to her own weird thoughts.

Emery finished eating, then took the letter out of her pocket. She opened it to see her mother's neat hand.

Dear Emery,

It is with deep regret and sorrow that I write this. 

I have news to tell you, but you must promise to stay calm. Do not let this affect you, for if you do, then you'll end up on the wrong path.

Last night, Aunt Del passed away.

None of us knew about it, but she was terribly ill. She was diagnosed with Dragon Pox a few months back, and never told anyone.

I can't imagine how Cecy would feel if she knew, but you must promise me one thing.

Be there for Cecilia. She needs it. She's now an orphan, and she has nobody but us to care for her. Show her that you love her, and do not leave her side. She is too young to survive by herself in these dark times.

Please, Emery. It's the least you could do. Try and mature a little bit. I know you don't want to, but think of it as Aunt Del's last wish.

For someone to take care of Cecilia.

Cecilia didn't only lose a mother, I lost a sister.

I only hope you are safe. I can't lose you too. Take care, and study hard.

Love, Mama.

"No," Emery whispered, clutching the letter to her chest. 

"No, no, no, no," she cried, a tear spilling down her cheek.

"This is not true," she said. "It's not true," she sobbed.

"Not Aunt Del," she murmured. 

She broke out into tears, banging her head on the Ravenclaw table as she sobbed, muttering "no" every second.

"Emery," said a concerned voice, and Emery felt a hand on her back.

"Emery, hey, are you alright?"

Emery shook her head. 

"Sirius," she choked, bursting into tears once more. 

Sirius swung a leg over the bench, sitting near Emery. He placed an arm around her, and pulled her into him.

"Hey," he murmured, "what's wrong?"

Emery shoved the letter into his hand. "Read it," she sobbed. "Read it."

Sirius read the letter, and frowned. "Oh, Emery, I'm so sorry," he sighed, the pulled her into his chest, stroking her hair. "I'm here. Cry all you want. Let it all out," he said gently.

Emery sobbed into his leather jacket, her arms in her lap as she leaned into Sirius. 

"It's not fair," she cried. "Poor Cecy."

"Shhhh," comforted Sirius. "It's alright. She's in a better place now," he said softly. "Don't worry. Don't you worry about her one bit," he said. "She's much happier. Imagine how much pain she went through. She suffered. She's at peace now, alright?" said Sirius, stroking Emery's hair and whispering lowly.

Emery sniffled, her sobs softening.

"You'll be okay, alright?" said Sirius. "Just remember she's happy. She may not be there physically with you, but she'll always be in your heart. Remember that," he asserted. 

Emery nodded and pulled him into a hug.

"Thanks," she mumbled, burying her head in his neck. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

He smiled. "I tend to have that effect," he hummed.

Emery sniffed out a teary laugh.

Sirius pulled away from her and took out a small package, handing it to Emery.

"Would you like to feed the ants?" he suggested with a small smile.

She nodded, looking at the packet of seeds in her palm.

"Thank you," she said, her blue eyes glazed with tears as she looked at him. "I mean it."

"I know you do," responded Sirius, patting her. 

"Like I said," he paused. "Anything for a friend."