20 - Interfering Illusions

Chan woke up in his bed. Weird? He remembered falling asleep - or passing out, Chan didn't know which one it was - under the table. His father must've carried him back to his own bed. Interfering

The house was eerily quiet when he sat up, and he looked at the clock to see that it was 11:04 am. There was a note on his bedside table.

"I hope you slept well the rest of the night. I turned off your alarm and called into school so you don't have to go in. That was a bit of a shock last night, so I wanted you to be okay. I'm going to talk to your doctor on my break today. I wish one of us was there but we had to go to work. Love mum."

Chan sighed and dropped back down on his pillow. His parents were at work and his siblings were at school. He was alone, but for some reason this time it didn't scare him as much as usual.

Maybe it was because he was absolutely exhausted from last night. Not tired exhausted, but energy draining exhausted. He was honestly glad that his mother pulled him out of school for the day.

Chan looked to the side, seeing that the top half of one of his posters had fallen down, leaving it looking miserable as it hung by the lower pieces of blue tack. He lifted it up again and stood on his tip toes to stick it back to the wall.

Only, when he moved forward to press down for it to stick to said wall, his foot got caught on the carpet.

The boy looked down in confusion to see the carpet beginning to pull up and he sat down on the floor in front of it after the poster was secure.

He grabbed onto the corner where it had begun coming up, pulling it back to reveal...wood?

Expecting the typical under carpet flooring when it was actually wood seemed a little strange. He lifted it a bit more to discover that the whole carpet was placed steadily on top of an already wooden floor.

However it stopped pulling up once it reached certain parts that were attached by nails.

The part that had originally caught his attention seemed like a hatch. There was a line making a square in the floor boards, but there was no handle.

So Chan ended up grabbing a ruler and slipped it into the tiny gap of the square, lifting it just a little so he could grab the door.

He lifted it and it was just a little space, not big enough for anything major. Although what was there, was a book.

A book?

It was placed so evenly in the space and it looked quite old. The front read 'Spell-book' and then there was a symbol underneath the writing.

He put his hand in to grab it, check it out a bit more. The symbol looked really familiar and he wanted to have a closer look.

Only, he gasped when the hatch fell down onto his hand. Well, it seemed like it had been slammed down onto his hand.He hissed and went to pull it away, only to realize that it was stuck.

Trying to lift the hatch again was no use, it was as if it was being...held down? His hand was starting to hurt as he began pulling, trying to get it out.

He felt the hatch pressing harder, and he made a noise of pain. Eventually, it loosened up and he was able to remove his now trembling hand.

When he looked at his left hand, it was red and there was a mark on it. Ouch. That would leave a bruise.

He looked up after cradling his hand to see the hatch slam down again and the carpet move back in place on its own.

His eyes widened and he scooted back as far as possible, hitting the other wall whilst doing so.