3ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ

Uɴᴇxᴘᴇᴄᴛᴇᴅ Rᴇʟᴀᴛɪᴠᴇs

After school ended Jacob somehow convinced Gabriella to take a ride on his bike over to his house. Other than the fact that she squeezed too tight on a certain turn and almost caused them to crash, the ride itself wasn't as bad as she thought it was going to be.

The two teens now sat on the boys front porch, Gaby having her legs crossed with a family photo album on top of her right thigh and Jake laying his head on her left. They got to talking about their project and the two realized they both had a connection with the Quileute tribe.

"Ohh so you're like related to them...like a distant cousin."

"I want you to seriously think about what you're saying. How on earth can someone be physically descended from a wolf?"

Jacob was shocked when he found out the girl had never been told the tribes stories, especially since her aunt is Quileute herself. As he went on with their history he didn't expect her to actually believe the part where their people are supposed to share genetic relations with an animal.

"We share our DNA with monkeys. Can it really be that hard to believe that you may be related to wolves?"

Gaby left the boy to simmer on what she said, grinning to herself when she saw him roll his eyes and huff out a breath. Opening the book that has been sitting on her lap, the Latina began to show Jake old pictures from both her mom and dads side, most of them from the time she lived in Costa Rica. He laughed at the one where she had a large slice of watermelon and held it to her face where it imitated a smile.

"You look like a little gremlin in this one."

Slapping the boy on the chest, Gaby snatched the photo back and shoved it in the pocket it was previously in, "I'm starting to regret picking you over Embry for this project."

"Why, Cause you're annoyed? Or could it be the fact that you like-"

"-I dare you to finish that sentence, Black."

Jacob, laughing at her "intimidating" face, lifted himself up from the girls lap and continued to look at her family's old photos. Reaching for another picture, the boys eyebrows furrow together when he recognized a familiar looking face. Once the photo was in his hand, he brought it up for closer inspection, he slightly nudged the girl to get her attention.

"Who is this person to you?"

He pointed at the woman, lifting it to the girls face so she could see what he was talking about. In the photo itself it shows an elderly woman sitting down in a wooden chair, holding a baby.

Looking at the boy confused from his sudden question, she glanced down at the photo in his hand, "That's my aunt's grandma, why?"

"I've seen this woman before..."

Gabriella started to get even more confused when he frantically got up and ran inside his house. Taken aback, the Latina got up herself and carefully went to go follow him.

Before she could even fully step inside the house, Gaby could hear a small conversation taking place in the kitchen. She made her way through the small hallway leading to the room where he was and crossed her arms over her chest at the sight of the boy leaning over his father's wheelchair.

"Are you going to explain to me why you just spazzed out like a weirdo or...?"

Jacob didn't even reply to her, just waved her over. As she stood next to the russet boy, the look of confusion still on her face, Gaby could see a picture frame laying on the table they surrounded- her aunts photo right next to it. Peering over Billy Blacks shoulder she could see in the picture frame her aunts grandmother, standing with other elderly people.