2ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ

Hᴀʟʟ Mᴏɴɪᴛᴏʀs

  "It's way too early for this"

  Being one of the youngest girls on the woman's varsity soccer team, Gabriella had no choice but to go to morning practice. She had never really payed too much attention to the sport, only really playing when she visited her cousins in Costa Rica, but did enjoy it during PE. The coach was impressed her freshman year on how well she played and saw some potential. She didn't think she was that good until the coach asked her to tryout and ended up placing her in varsity.

  "I had to wake up at the asscrack of dawn just so I can run around in this humid ass weather and get all sweaty before classes." Gaby's teammate May joked. The girls on the team were surprisingly pretty welcoming when it came to a sophomore joining their team. There's always going to be some girls who are secretly praying on her downfall, but for the most part a lot of them were nice. May is just one of the girls she gets along with the best.

  "At least you have a car. I have to ride to school with Paul who my uncle forces me to go with."

  May stared at Gaby in shock, never truly realizing she was the one people in her grade talked about, "Wait Paul...as in Paul Lahote?! Everyone in our grade thinks you're his baby mama."

  "May, I just threw up in my mouth."

  The two girls conversation was interrupted by a whistle, signaling it was time to start practice. Walking over to the group of girls circling their coach, Gaby tied her hair into a low bun and tried to pay attention to what the man was saying. She got distracted mid-pep talk when she let her gaze fall on the group of boys joining the field. Nudging her teammate softly and nodding her head in the direction of the boys, Gaby furrowed her eyebrows when they started to do warm ups.

  "I guess we're splitting the field with the guys today, super." May said in a sarcastic tone.

  Practice went on as usual- extremely tiring and excessively hot. Gaby swore by the third lap she blacked out.

  Dragging her numb legs and feet over to the water fountains, Gaby couldn't help but feel a presence walk up next to her. Too tired to even acknowledge the person, she bent down and began to gulp the cold water. The looming figure was now at her side which caused her to slowly turn her head and face them. She was met with a tall, hazel eyed smirking boy who was now leaning up against the wall across from her.

  Wiping the water that dropped down her face, Gaby straightened herself out and turned her body to him, "Can I help you?"

  The boy smiled at her and pushed off the wall he was on, casually walking towards her with his arms behind his back, "No, no. Just wanted to let you know you're pretty good...at soccer I mean."

  "Thanks...", that came out more as a question than anything. She didn't know how to respond to the strangers compliment, never really noticing he went to the school.

  "I'm Harvey, by the way. Harvey Vincent."

  All she could do was send the boy a tight lipped smile, deciding now was a good time to get back to her stuff.

  Noticing the girl begin to walk away, Harvey skipped a few steps to be in line with her. "So, what's your name?"

  Gaby was slightly startled by his voice, not realizing he was next to her again, "Uhm, Gabriella."

  "Nice. Gabriella." Harvey extended the "a" in her name, smiling down at her as she carefully looked up at him. He stood by her when she bent down to pick her stuff up and helped when he noticed she wasn't going to be able to carry the three bags by herself.