1ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ

Nᴇᴡ Fᴀᴄᴇs

The alarm clock next to Gabriella's bed went off, startling the girl awake. She looked at the beeping machine, it reading seven twenty-three a.m., and slammed her hand on it a couple times till it turned off. The Latina rolled out of bed with a groan and shuffled her way to the bathroom.

Gaby didn't know what it was, probably her sore body from last nights events or just stupid back to school jitters, but everything in the girls body was telling her not to go to school today. This feeling was nothing knew, having felt it since the first day of sophomore year. It was getting more and more suffocating as time went on; always checking her surroundings, being extremely cautious, slightly paranoid when left alone. She couldn't find the courage to tell someone, not even her aunt who she'd tell everything to.

Pushing the weird feeling to the back of her brain, Gaby mindlessly picked out an outfit for the day and got ready.

She walked into her kitchen once she was done and greeted her aunt and uncle who sat on the counter. Not noticing the other figure in the room, Gaby continued to grab a bottle of water from the fridge.

"Do you guys think I can update my work schedule? Cal dragged me Kat and Kim into student council, so I thought it'd be best if I take the later shifts." Opening the bottle and taking a sip out of it, Gabriella stared at the two adults waiting for their answer. She noticed the way both of them looked to each other then back at their niece, expect her to have already noticed the person diagonally standing from her.

Scrunching her eyebrows, Gaby slowly swallowed the water in her mouth and asked them what was wrong. The second her aunt was about to say something the still unknown person cleared their throat, having the attention now on themself.

Gabriella didn't even try to hide the face of disgust as she recognized who it was, "What's he doing here?"

Getting up from the island counter that was in the middle of the room Monica Montero slowly approached the evidently upset girl, placing a hand on her shoulder. Gaby tore her gaze from the boy across from her and then to her aunt that was now at her side.

"Because of recent news reports, your uncle and I thought it'd be best if he drove you to school from now on-"

"-I'd rather walk." Letting out an annoyed huff, Gaby shrugged her aunts hand from her shoulder and began to walk towards the front door. She grabbed her school bag from the hook it hung on, almost reaching the door for it to only be blocked by a large body.

Gaby looked up at Paul, the boy who ignored her for almost three months with no valid reason or excuse, and calmly said, "Move out of the way, Paul."

"No."

She didn't care that he decided to drop all of his old friends and start hanging out with Sam Uley and Jared Cameron. Or supposedly become a junkie and run around the woods half naked. No, what upset her was when she asked him what was wrong he would snap at her. He'd ignore her for weeks to then come back like nothing happened. Gaby knew, of all people, how short his temper was. But this aggression towards everyone and new found behavior of authority wasn't going to slide.

Looking up at the ceiling the agitated girl mumbled all different kinds of profanities under her breathe before staring the boy straight in the eyes, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I'm not going to ask again..."

He only copied her stance and glanced over at the two adults witnessing this whole ordeal.

"Y que?! You really think I'm going to be in the same car as him." She ranted.

"It's only for a little while. Just until things settle down in the woods-", Gabriella scoffed at her uncle trying to reason and rolled her eyes.